Rough Idle still not gone

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Boer

Reaction score
Greetings again fellow Sport Trac'rs. I was hoping I may get a bit of someones expertise here. I had the infamous rough idle in cold weather and posted a few times over the last few months. I have taken all the suggestions and the truck still idles extremely rough only during cold startup. The truck only idles like this below 40'ish degrees fahrenheit and then once it runs for a few minutes it goes away.

I have the 2001 Job 1 ST so there is no 90 degree elbow to replace which causes the issues many of the people encounter. I went through and sprayed starter fluid around the intake and it revved when I narrowed it down to the lower corner of the intake. I went ahead and replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets, o-ring seals, and replaced the plugs and wires, but it still idles rough upon startup. Any other thoughts? I thought for sure the intake gasket would fix it due to checking the starter fluid prior to replacing the gasket, which got the engine to revving. The location I was spraying when it revved the engine was just below the EGR valve on the intake if that helps pinpoint the location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on any potential next steps on troubleshooting, or fixing this problem.

If I am not mistaken, I think the IAC motor hoses and the IAC are under that area on the 01 job 1...

Check those hoses for a split... IT still tells me you have an air leak... Check the hoses that they are all connected and not broken or you forgot to put it back on when doing the intake manifold gaskets..

I have heard about the intake cracking, But that normally lead to coolant leaking..

Todd Z

Try taking a business card and unbolting the egr valve enough to get the card in to block the passages and then tighten the egr back up and start it and see how it runs. You would be surprised at the number of egr valves that I replace because they are leaking vacuum, this is overlooked by ALOT of repair facilities. Next time you check for vacuum leaks use a propane bottle with a long hose attached to it, liquid sprays can seep into the gasket and make it seem like there is a vacuum leak when there really isn't but with propane the vacuum will draw the propane in if there is a leak, plus using a spray has to much of a chance to flame up on you