Royal Purple Max ATF

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I just found out that a local NAPA store carried Royal Purple tranny fluid. Before I head out there I just wanted to make sure that Royal Purple Max ATF is MerconV compatible. Product info from RP's website doesn't specifically mention MerconV but I see no other type of synthetic ATF from them.

Thanks.

No, Not compatible, you must 100% flush.... Do not mix..

Todd Z

Oh, let me clarify. I wasn't gonna mix the RP and the fluidthat is in my tranny now. What I want to do is buy RP tranny fluid and take it somewhere to have the tranny flushed. I just want to make sure that the fluid I'm getting, Royal Purple Max ATF, is suitable for our 5R55E.

BTW Todd, you got mail.

Flip Trac,

Be sure to check with the shop that is doing the Tranny Flush, that they will allow you to provide your own fluid. Some lube centers have contracts with the oil companies, or with their franchise supplier and cannot use any products that was not purchased through their contracted suppliers.

I had my transmission flush done last week and thought I might want to use RP. When I talked to the manager of the lube service, he indicated they were not allowed to use outside products and could not assume responsibility if there was a problem with the RP fluid.

...Rich

...Rich

Flip,

I really don't know if it's good to go or not for mercon V.... I used AmsOil ATF synthetic when I did my flush and change out. It's compatiable... Here's the link. I know that Royal Purple is an expensive brand, but I wouldn't chance it unless I KNEW that they were compatiable.

Also... Make sure that you shop around before you buy the fluid.. Many places don't have the gear to do the flush with your own fluid because their machine is pre-loaded with thier own fluid.. I had to go to about 10 places before I found one that could do the flush with my own fluid.

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh makes a very good point. The shop I went to fills their flush machine from a 16 gallon drum. Also, if they will take you RP, find out how much you will need. My first flush on my 2001 Sport Trac I was told it was 10 quarts. Last week the shop manager did my flush (the only qualified guy there) and he said they fill the machine which holds about 14 quarts of fresh fluid. That insures they 98% or more of the old fluid out.

...Rich

Thanks folks, and yes, I was going to check with the shops first if I could use my own fluid. What stores carry Amsoil here in SoCal?

Found 3 dealers within a radius of 50 miles of Zip Code 90001:

TIMOTHY T. MAYES

380 N PARKER ST

ORANGE, CA 92868-2231

(714)323-3990

http://www.lubedealer.com/ttmayes

Approximate Distance: 25.7 miles

LESSIE PHILPOT

6661 TOKAY AVE

FONTANA, CA 92336-1338

(909)822-2248

http://www.lubedealer.com/ltplube