Royal Purple Oil Test Results

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George C

Reaction score
I have been running Royal Purple for my last few oil changes. In between my last oil change and this one I had a lot going on and the Trac we kind of neglected. I ended up putting 7,000 miles on between changes. I sent the oil to Blackstone Laboratories for an analysis and was happily surprised by the results. Yes it is expensive but if anyone doubts the benefits of Royal Purple take a look at the test results.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that sounds like some good stuff. :) I wonder what the diff would be between the RP and any other brand synthetic...

Interesting. Their comments to you was that it should go longer but for mine with 9700 miles, they say the opposite. I'm not sure about Blackstone Labs.

Interesting analysis from both samples. I have RP in my Mustang engine, trans, and diff. I use it because I only put about 1k miles on it a year and wanted some quality stuff because it so sits so much. I change its oil every 2 yrs regardless.

My ST gets Mobil 1, oil fliter, and tire rotation every 5k miles. RP a little to pricey for as often as I have to change it on the ST.

george,

do you think there is much of a difference between RP and mobil one. is the cost worth it and years down the line will it pay for itself?

I did a boo-boo my last oil change with RP. I ended up doing 17k miles before doing the next change. Whooppss! Time and money all make things bad. My excuse and I'm trademarking it.

bill,

true benefits ? better gas mileage/increased performance?

do you keep your vehicle for the long run that it will make that much of a difference.

sorry i am convinced that with normal driving habits , traditional oil that the mfg recommends is suffient even though i use syn oil in non required use vehicles..

Gary. The only real advantage of synthetics is the ability to only change your oil every 10k instead of 5k. If you have the time then keep using dyno. I only use RP because I get it for about $4 a quart. It might be slightly better then Mobile 1 but you would only notice it if your using it in a race car or something else extreme. Not the ST.

Nocturnal. I use K&N Gold filters.

The only real advantage of synthetics is the ability to only change your oil every 10k instead of 5k.

IMO, 10K is too often for synthetic. Auto manufacturers are already having 7500 Mile oil changes.

I run my synthetic for one year. On the Explorer, that was over 21,000 miles. When I finally drained the oil, it was dirty, but not that dirty. I bet I could have ran it another 5,000 miles.

Synthetic lasts longer, offers higher heat stability, better flow properties, and is better in keeping your engine clean.

Tom

Peoples mind sets about syn verses Dino is really funny (If it was good enough for my daddy it's good enough for me)

Sure, dino works, But todays engines are far diff than your daddy had.

Are smaller, much higher reving and built to far tighter tolorances.

No question syns are far superior in all aspects.

As far as cost go's that truley a no brainer, syn will surely last 9K miles =6 QTs

Follow tradition (every 3K miles) thats 18QTS of dino over 9K miles.

Whats the cost benifit?

Auto manufacturers are already having 7500 Mile oil changes.

And that's because they're putting in syn/dino blend oil as OEM from the factory. At least Ford is doing so with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oils.

Gary,

I was using conventional oil before the switch to Royal Purple so can't really comment on the Mobil 1. I heard that Purple was the best so that is why I made the switch. I did notice a difference when I switched to synthetic. Felt like the engine was running smoother. I am also running Purple in everything except the transmission.

George

TomT said:

The only real advantage of synthetics is the ability to only change your oil every 10k instead of 5k.

After I put RP in the engine 4 years ago it ran smoother, quieter and accelerated easier. After putting RP in the differential I noticed that I got an increase of 1 mpg. Synthetics do make a big difference in my judgement. Saying that the only real advantage of synthetics is to go longer between oil changes is, in my judgement, hogwash. I did read that mostly the newer vehicles, 10 yrs. old or less, can run synthetic oil.

Just for kicks I got a UOA of the Valvoline Synpower I used on my second oil change. Iron and aluminum were a little high which Blackstone attributed to the engine still breaking in. Only ran the oil 4500 miles but we were leaving on vacation and I didn't want to run way over. Valvoline has a packaging plant in my town and I like to support local business (sometimes). Currently I'm running Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula :rolleyes: and I'll get a UOA at 5000 and see how it compares.

If it's good, I'll go 7500 next time.

I will note that on the new rear-drive Cadillacs, GM recommends Mobil 1 even though they use the same engine as the front-drive Caddys where conventional oil is fine. The difference is in the lifters and GM specs Mobil 1 because the viscosity holds up over the oil change interval, which the lifters apparently need.

As far as I know, all Ford trucks the last few years have full synthetic axle lube from the factory. That's not to say that Royal Purple isn't better.

UOA linky------V

Synthetic oils are proven to be far more heat tollerant than conventioal oils in as much as they don't break down like conventional oils do when they get hot.

Synthetic are also reduce friction better than conventional oils which reduces wear, and improves power and gas mileage.

HorsePower TV did a test of Royal Purple and found that replacing the conventional oil in the engine, transmission, and rear axle of a late model Camaro netted an increas of 8 HP without any other modifications. I'm sure you can get similar results with other brands of synthetice lubricants. I used Mobil-1 in my Sport Trac's and my wife's Saturn and noticed an improvment in gas mmileage and very smooth, troublefree operation.

My new MB C300 come from the factory with 9 quarts of Mobil-1 5W-40 in it's 3.0L V6 engine and only requires one oil change per year or 13K miles.

...Rich

Latest posts