RP Flush or Drain?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
If I decide to do RP in the tranny, should I just drain and add, then run the truck and drain and add again to get all RP in? or should pay to have it flushed? If flushed how much RP does it require to do a full flush?

Just for reference I've never had it flushed, but I have drained and added at least 4 times, and I'm about to hit 100k.

Save your money, Just use the Ford OEM mercV

Todd Z

At 100k miles. I advice against using anything other than OEM mercon V. Not a good idea. In my knowledge, I have seen good high milage transmisions, go to crap with a change in fluid type..

If I was switching to RP, I would go for the flush since it will replace about 98% of the old contaminated fluid, however with 100K miles, I would recommend dropping the pan and replacing the filter as well.

Having said that, I do have to agree with the others. If you have 100K miles on your Sport Trac and have experienced none of the transmission problems, they Keep on doing what you are doing, and keep using what you are using since it appears to be working well for you.

...Rich

In another thread someone said that Royal Purple ATF is not Mercon V rated, so I would advise not to use it.

Thats B.S, max RP is tottaly compatible with Merc V, will it have any advantage over Merc V.No, will you notice a diff? NO, been in my tranny for 20 K miles, no issues.

I'm just going to keep on my normal routine which is drain and fill with valvoline merc V which I have been using.

I changed the filter back at 60k, when are you supposed to change them?

I changed the filter back at 60k, when are you supposed to change them?

Actually the manual never mentions changing the tranny filter, only flushing it every 30k.

I would think that a flush every 30k and a filter change every 60k ought to be fine.

Latest posts