RPMs Stuck!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
The other night I pulled up next to another sport trac at the gas station. The driver had left it running in park as he went inside. I happened to look in it and noticed his RPM gauge was stuck some where in the 4k-5k range.

Well last night I got in my truck. Started it up, noticed that my RPM gauge was stuck at 4,500. I revved my engine up and the gauge did not move. I proceeded with shutting the truck off and starting it back up. By doing that, the gauge went back to normal.

My question is... Has anyone else experience this before? Is this a symptom for something going bad?

Sounds like you caught something at the gas station.

Kidding, hopefully somebody will have a more useful answer.

I had something similar happen.....except mine was an electrical issue.....ended up having to replace the whole cluster.

What is the condition of your battery and connections?

Our tracs have electrical gremlins. When the battery is about to go or dirty terminals.

Check both out.

I've read and heard about sport tracs being prone to these so called electrical gremlins. But I purchased my OPTIMA battery a year and half ago. I highly doubt it's the battery, now when I changed the battery the factory clamps broke. I ended up replacing them with some cheap autozone terminal clamp/connecters. I really can't speak highly about them as I find them to be pieces of crap. Even though these clamps aren't the greatest I have never had trouble during startup.

I've read and heard about sport tracs being prone to these so called electrical gremlins. But I purchased my OPTIMA battery a year and half ago. I highly doubt it's the battery, now when I changed the battery the factory clamps broke. I ended up replacing them with some cheap autozone terminal clamp/connecters. I really can't speak highly about them as I find them to be pieces of crap. Even though these clamps aren't the greatest I have never had trouble during startup.

No matter how new or exspensive a battery is. Any of them can fail or get weak at anytime.

Fact of life. I had them go bad in 3 months.

Start-up means nothing. Check the voltage drop while cranking. Or get it load tested.

When I replace a battery cable clamp. I dont just clamp the wire in them. I make sure the clamps are lead. Strip and clean the cable back to clean copper. I carefully use a mini torch, and solder the cable to the new end clamp. The I use rtv to seal the cable at the insulation.

If I cant strip the wire back enough for no corrosion. I replace the whole wire.

Years ago. I was having problems on another car. Battery, starter, altenator checked good. Cables looked good. On sujestion from someone. I striped the + cable to the starter. The whole 4ft cable to the starter was internaly corroded. Battery acid all the way. Set up high resistance. Replaced cable all was well.

Non of this maybe your problem. Just saying you cant assume with late model car electronics.

I will look into replacing my cables or clamps. I will also pay attention to see if this happens again. Thanks for your advice Eddie :haveabeer:

Latest posts