Rumbling Ping Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ava Francis

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just had a tune up, new tires, 71,000 miles, 2001 ST and this noise dives me crazy!! It sounds like I'm using the wrong gas. It happens when I ride uphill or accelerate . It only happens in 1st gear (it's an automatic) then when I hear it go into 2nd gear it sounds fine. It reminds me of my high school car with the gas thing...anyone know? Thanks!

Could be bad catalytic converters, Vacuum leak, driveshaft, OR even the timing chain ratteling...

Todd Z

Just had a tune up last week, changed my gas and nothing so, I'll go back to me mec. and see if Tood Z is correct. More money....... Thanks All !!

I have this too. Mostly during the hotter months. I run a higher octance gas when I know that I'm going to be either driving through the mountains or towing the boat. That ususally does the trick for me.

I've asked about it and the typical response is "that's a Ford for ya". I've actually known several people who have different vehicles but the same engine who have the problem as well.

The one thing I've never checked is the timing chain, so please let me know if that turns out to be the problem.

Latest posts