Running Too RICH (Bank 1 & Bank 2)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Mason 2

Reaction score
My neighbor lent me his computer and the diagnosis is that the Trac is Running Too Rich on Bank 1 and 2. It HAS developed (in the last 2 weeks) a rough idle so he said that the oxygen sensors could be bad - but also incorrectly gapped spark plugs? Can anyone provide any help or more stuff to look at. It is a 2001 with 105K miles and I need to keep it for 100K more. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Here is a list of things that are listed on the OBD codes list for "Rich on banks 1 and 2".

Air Measurement System

MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, corroded connector, etc.).

Fuel System

Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum hose off, diaphram leak, malfunctioning, etc.).

Leaking fuel injectors.

Fuel return line restricted.

Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).

EVAP canister purge valve leak (when canister is full).

Base engine

Engine oil contamination

Not sure if it helps. Any engine codes?

Then he needs to fix this....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The hole in the hose is creating the too lean circumstance that the O2 is reporting....

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys kick BUTT! I just looked outside and sure enough, the elbow is cracked! You just make my WEEK!!! Is this something that I have to get at from FORD or will NAPA have one possibly. If so, what is it called? - So I don't sound like a TOTAL MORON when I go to the store in the morning. :cool:

Not sure the exact name, but here is the way to fix it:

You can replace it with a small piece of heater hose that is 5/8 inch. But heater hose is a quick fix. The hose will soften and collapse causing other problems. We recommend you purchase a PCV elbow or the replacement part form a dealer.

That was taken from the FAQ section of this site. It's a common problem.;)

Thanks stonemiser. I searched the forum before posting - I just didn't look at the FAQ. Next time I'll search there also prior to posting. Thanks for your time.:cool: