Rust bubbling through my paint on the hood

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
I just noticed when I washed my truck this weekend that on my hood there is some rust bubbling the paint. What actions should i take to prevent anymore damage?

What probably happened is that you got a stone chip in the paint and water worked it's way under it, causing rust. Not much you can do other than get the hood refinished. Then get a bug deflector. I learned several trucks ago that they don't do much do deflect bugs but they keep stone chips off the hood.

I agree with JohnnyO, even though the bug deflectors don't do much for catching all the bugs, they will save your hood from enough stone/rock chips that it's probably a good investment overall.

Bug deflectors will also protect windows against a lot of rock chips

Not really, I get about 3-5 chips a year in my windshields and I have had bug guards on all my trucks. It sure helps protect the leading edge of the hood though.

Where yall been driving? My ST is almost 6 years old and I've never had a crack on my windshield.

They use sand on icy roads down here. I don't take the highway anymore a few days after a snow storm. I got pelted in the past. Never again.

Jeff C, location, location, location. I am in Alberta, they use quite a bit of pea sized gravel on the roads here in the winter, and it lays around till about mid-summer. The majority of my chips come from oncoming traffic, especially large trucks kicking up rocks into my windows. They say that Calgary Alberta is the windshield capital of N. America. (for replacing them that is)

Jeff C - spend a little time driving around the ATL - rocks all over the place due to construction (aka suburban sprawl). My Wrangler's windshield has 3 dings and/or cracks from rocks or other debris. Doesn't help that the windshield is almost vertical. I have also had them fly into the Jeep when the top was off.

I'm in rural Alabama and drive my fair share of dirt roads. I drive to New Orleans 4-5 times a year to see family, and I go to ATL a few times a year as well with friends to hang out. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Oh, and I'm not worried about knockin on wood; people told me that about my tranny when I said it was fine 40k ago, still good.

Jeff C, I travel plenty of dirt/gravel roads and have only gotten a few from those. Usually when I slow down but the guy coming at me is going Mach 1. The majority of mine come from highways. So yeah, you must be lucky. I get 'dealer pricing' at the place I get my chips repaired because I am there so often.