Rust revealed from removal of running boards

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmartin

Reaction score
I decided today, I was going to attempt to start making my Sport Trac look better. I decided the first thing was to remove the rusted ORM running boards, which were dealer installed brand new. After 17 years, I knew it may be a chore to take them off. Yes, I was right about that. And on top of that, bad news. Rust and hole at both front mounts. I guess this will cost some money now. Any ideas what I should do?

Attachments

• AAAD59B8-2ED0-44F2-8C06-0F92F9BC305A.jpeg
    AAAD59B8-2ED0-44F2-8C06-0F92F9BC305A.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 102
I'd try to clean off rust with various sized WireWheels, down to bare metal on all sides.
Then 2 coats of rattle can Rustoleum GrayPrimer or HiTempBlack.
Likely more rusty spots underneath; do a thorough underbody inspection + cleaning + primer.
Made a habit every time I get under my ExST,
using a WireBrush\Wheel & HiTempBlack + Lube were needed.

I'd try to clean off rust with various sized WireWheels, down to bare metal on all sides.
Then 2 coats of rattle can Rustoleum GrayPrimer or HiTempBlack.
Likely more rusty spots underneath; do a thorough underbody inspection + cleaning + primer.
Made a habit every time I get under my ExST,
using a WireBrush\Wheel & HiTempBlack + Lube were needed.
Looks like we are beyond that. I have been checking and inspecting in the last year, this was hidden behind the mounting plate of the step bar.

You guys in the salt belt; I don't see how you do it. Do you guys wash your undercarriage all the time?

My southeastern '04 has no rust. You have to look hard to find superficial rust spots.

'Tis always a good idea to befriend a welder.

You guys in the salt belt; I don't see how you do it. Do you guys wash your undercarriage all the time?

My southeastern '04 has no rust. You have to look hard to find superficial rust
That is how vehicles get culled. But if you want to keep vehicle long term, there needs to be some preventive maintenance. Unfortunately, something that isn’t mentioned in the owners manual.

What do you do? Undercoat the hell out of it. Wash it every time you come off the road during winter?

I've seen salt-belt cars that look like swiss cheese driving down the road. Long before they'd be considered "classic." I'm talking quarter panels with holes in them. Then there are the maintenance videos produced by guys living in the salt-belt showing what they have to go through dealing with rusted suspension overhauls.

Last edited:
My solution: When I got tired of repairing the rusted out rockers and rear cab corners on my '07 I traded it for an all aluminum bodied F-150.

I'm right in the thick of the salt belt. There is a brushless automatic car wash in town that sprays the undercarriage. I'm there probably once a week for 2-3 of the winter months. After they over-zealously spread way more salt than necessary, I go through it once the roads dry. Does a pretty good job of keeping corrosion to a minimum.

My solution: When I got tired of repairing the rusted out rockers and rear cab corners on my '07 I traded it for an all aluminum bodied F-150.
Funny thing, there's also something known as AluminumOxide!

Yep.
IronOxide = Iron\Steel Rust
AluminumOxide = Aluminum Rust; a whitish powder also known as Alum.
Yep, Aluminum does rust; just not as noticable as Red Rust.
Given a corrosive\salty environment, exposed aluminum will slowly crumble to a white crusty powder.

The only thing limiting the life of a southern car is the desire of the owner to do the needed repairs. My frame and body are as solid as the day they rolled off the assembly line.

Plastic is the problem down here.

Engine, transmission, wear components, and of course, plastic components and electronics are the limiting factors. If it wasn't for the PCM and the instrument cluster circuit board, a Sport Trac could run forever.

Last edited:
Yep.
IronOxide = Iron\Steel Rust
AluminumOxide = Aluminum Rust; a whitish powder also known as Alum.
Yep, Aluminum does rust; just not as noticable as Red Rust.
Given a corrosive\salty environment, exposed aluminum will slowly crumble to a white crusty powder.
Definition of RUST In the dictionary, it depends which definition of rust you use, ti determine if aluminum rust or not. But that is just a technicality. Aluminum does corrode is the real truth.

Latest posts