Rusted Shock Nut

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
The bushings on my RSX 5000 shocks have gone MIA after a little over 2 years of being installed (~39,000 miles). I bought some new Energy Suspension bushings to slap in there, but the nut on the top of the shock is rusted to the shock rod/bolt fiercely.

The rust is strong enough that when I lock on Vise-Grips to the top of the rod (as of course the thing rotates when you torque it) that when I try to break the nut free, the vise-grips are knocked off before the nut breaks free. Sadly, no socket I have can actually fit the shock bolt top. I knew they wouldn't, but it was worth a shot.

Any tips on how to deal with this? I blasted the things the other day with WD40 (It's the best I've got), and no luck as of yet. I'll keep trying that route, unless there's something I'm missing.

Try heat with a torch on the nut. Or if you can borrow a nut spliter and chase the threads with a thead chaser. Then use a new nut.

U could also try a propane torch, and maybe some PB Blaster, I hear that stuff is better at soaking into rusted parts :fire: .

Dave :banghead:

Dremel with a cutoff wheel works too. Just cut down "almost" to the threads, then use a flat blade screwdriver to pop the nut open, then (after it cools) thread it off by hand.

I have done this a few times, and never had to chase the threads afterwards.

Latest posts