RV shoping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectSparta

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a camper, probably to live out of for a while at a local camp site. sounds crazy but I think I would love to live next to a lake in privacy.

SO my question is Does anyone have a tow on trailer that they have expereice with that could give me advice? I dont even know were to begin. What to buy, how much, what size is good. I know it has to be under 5500 pds.

I remember oOm (Caymen) being familiar with RV's. Maybe he'll chime in on this one...

I tow a 20 foot ultralite and love it... dont forget to get a brake controller installed

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 27' lightweight, do a search for towing category and you find loads of info. The things to get or look for is a weight ditributing hitch, sway control, and get a trailer with a long tongue, which will tow better, IMHO.... I use an '02 2wd, and the trailer is right at the limit weight wise. Remember, It is the frontal area, weight, then length in order of concern as far as towability goes... It tows up hills without fits, but I do know it is back there. I have logged probably 20,000 mile towing since 2003. As for the Trac, (and this is a must IMO) you'll want to get a supplementary tranny cooler plumbed in series with the factory cooler. Before i got mine, I've seen my fluid actually smoking on the dipstick. I change the fluid each spring with Mercon V. HTH

[Broken External Image]:

PS... I would reccomend LT tires... makes a ton of difference with swaying....

From my experience with RVs, buy on the large side.

You may not think you need a 27, but the extra room is nice to have.

The longer trailers tend to keep their resale a bit better, IMO.

I used to pull a 27 with my Expedition 5.4L V8. I camped a lot by myself. I loved the extra room, especially during my two week stays and if I got lucky and had some "company". ;)

I used to pull a 27 with my Expedition 5.4L V8. I camped a lot by myself. I loved the extra room, especially during my two week stays and if I got lucky and had some "company".

You'd like it even more if you had company and got lucky! :banana::D

I have a 22' Aerolite. This was taken a couple of years ago in early October in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Ended up with about 4-5" that night...

[Broken External Image]:

I have a 17' Trail Lite with a queen size fold out bed on the front. Only weighs about 2200 lbs and is real easy to tow and store in my yard.

[Broken External Image]: