Say Hi and Problem with check engine light.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Octane

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Explorer Sport Trac 2001 Job 2 with 55000 miles on it.

Since Two weeks a go Check engine light is on as well check fuel cap, I took it to the dealer and they said is a problem with the emissions system, aside of this looks like the gas tank is not making vacuum, I already replace the gas cap and didn’t solve the problem.

I ask them if the problem could be that I top off the tank a few times to check the real MPG, they said definitely is that the problem, but they ask $600.00 for the repair.

Is there any procedure to fix it by my self?

My guess is I should purge the return line and replace the sensors but not so sure about it.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

When the CEL comes on again, go to Autozone or Advance Auto and get them to tell you the codes. Post them on here and you will find the answers and what to do. Trust me, this is the place you want to get your info from before the dealer ANY day.;)

Oh, welcome to the site and enjoy it. You'll be hooked before you know it.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stonemiser,

I am not sure but i think the code was P0401, i need to double check with those guys to confirm again.

Thanks a lot

for your vacuum problem, check the tube that goes from the gas inlet to the gas tank...sometimes those can work themselves loose and create that problem

Definetly check your rubber elbows. They have a tendency to split at the angle. Here's a post with a picture and a little more description of the problem.

Latest posts