Scale Suspension

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby Sport Trac

Shelby Sport Trac Build
Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I’m wanting to drop my 2010 XLT ST. 4x4. Is there anything else I’m gonna need besides an alignment? Anyone with any information or has used this product or has done a drop will be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure which to use the regular version or the low version
E6FCBCD0-EDC8-49B1-AC76-E71F5EB6A501.jpeg
805F5989-0FF9-43CE-9A4B-3530B6536062.png

Last edited:
I wouldn’t run the low setup, you can get the truck low enough with the standard setup. Also, know going in, the ride will be very firm, harsh even- on rough roads(see below).

Depending on how low you go, you may need adjustable upper ball joints. SPC makes some. I don’t run them, and I have around 2° of negative camber up front. I don’t mind it, I just keep tires rotated more often. The added camber helps with turn in when I take the truck to the twisties 😬

The rear drop is limited by the lower control arms and the clearance to the frame, anything over 3” and you’ll have an extra bump stop with big bumps.

Les just recently upgraded the springs to QA1, 650lb fronts and 550lb rears, and said the ride is much better. The springs that come with the Coilovers are north of 1200lbs. He has a thread about the recent swap.
I bought a set of new springs as well, I just haven’t had the chance to install. I went 575lb front and 500lb rear since my truck is a bit lighter than a 4x4/Awd

I wouldn’t run the low setup, you can get the truck low enough with the standard setup. Also, know going in, the ride will be very firm, harsh even- on rough roads(see below).

Depending on how low you go, you may need adjustable upper ball joints. SPC makes some. I don’t run them, and I have around 2° of negative camber up front. I don’t mind it, I just keep tires rotated more often. The added camber helps with turn in when I take the truck to the twisties 😬

The rear drop is limited by the lower control arms and the clearance to the frame, anything over 3” and you’ll have an extra bump stop with big bumps.

Les just recently upgraded the springs to QA1, 650lb fronts and 550lb rears, and said the ride is much better. The springs that come with the Coilovers are north of 1200lbs. He has a thread about the recent swap.
I bought a set of new springs as well, I just haven’t had the chance to install. I went 575lb front and 500lb rear since my truck is a bit lighter than a 4x4/Awd
I sent scale suspension a message about the 650/550. They're telling me that’s way to soft. You said you went with speedway motors. I have a 2010 xlt 4x4. Will you supply me with the part numbers.

I can tell you first hand that their supplied springs are too stiff for most street applications. Also, if you look around at other street drive Coilover setups, most run 3-400lb springs(albeit on lighter vehicles).

Les has a thread about this-as he is the one who talked with QA1, and he has the part numbers listed in the thread. They did their calculations and came up with 650/550, and I would put MUCH more faith in QA1 than Scale. I would search QA1 here on the forum, as that will probably bring the thread up Les started.

If my memory serves me right, the fronts are 10” and the rears are 9”. Think it’s 10ht650 and 9ht550, but I would double check his thread.

Edit: just checked my eBay, yea, the part number is 9ht500(for my 500lb), so it’s as described above. I used different front springs, but they are still 10”.

I’m curious if they send our Coilovers out with the low springs instead of the regular springs, as their description states the change in ride quality. The springs they send are nowhere near “close to factory comfort”. 🤔🤔

I’m curious if they send our Coilovers out with the low springs instead of the regular springs, as their description states the change in ride quality. The springs they send are nowhere near “close to factory comfort”. 🤔🤔
Not sure if this is the way to go?

Blown09,
Good sir where did you snag that SR71 photo? I use to work the taxi way to Black Bird Park in Palmdale, Ca. while I did a stent at Northrop Plant 42 back in the day.

Blown09,
Good sir where did you snag that SR71 photo? I use to work the taxi way to Black Bird Park in Palmdale, Ca. while I did a stent at Northrop Plant 42 back in the day.
A trip I took up to Seattle, stopped by the Aviation museum. Had a bunch more pics from there but lost them. They also had a concord there too.
Very awesome to be in the presence of this bird. Also got to sit in the mock up cock pit. Snug… very very snug lol.

I’m a huge aviation nut :)
And very cool job you had there!!!

Attachments

• FE374126-29C3-49E0-97E8-659327B6F670.jpeg
    FE374126-29C3-49E0-97E8-659327B6F670.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 37C1A1FD-16E1-4066-9B5E-71F7FF730D18.jpeg
    37C1A1FD-16E1-4066-9B5E-71F7FF730D18.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5BC4AC9B-AFCE-4484-8FAB-BE60EF53B9F9.jpeg
    5BC4AC9B-AFCE-4484-8FAB-BE60EF53B9F9.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good morning,
Once you receive the QA1 coils you should be good to go.

Good morning Les. Hopefully I’ll get to reorder the SS kit today. The salesperson charged me In Canadian money. So I’m waiting for the refund to clear before I pay SS in dollar’s lol. $1270. That’ll help with the QA1 coils and the bearings. You guys have been a tremendous help. Thanks for all the info.

Scale Suspension came through today. I checked with a local mechanic, $500 to install. I’ve never changed any before. Will need an alignment also.
IMG_3884.jpeg

Good times right there. $500 install isn’t bad at all. One thing I forgot to mention is that your mechanic will have to trim / grind off the a flat spot on the front shock top plate cause it hits the Inboard side of the shock tower. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 55E85B65-BB43-4756-961B-94E66AA83635.jpeg
    55E85B65-BB43-4756-961B-94E66AA83635.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EB9896A4-9FA9-4717-9556-3D0CF729C63A.jpeg
    EB9896A4-9FA9-4717-9556-3D0CF729C63A.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 0
Good times right there. $500 install isn’t bad at all. One thing I forgot to mention is that your mechanic will have to trim / grind off the a flat spot on the front shock top plate cause it hits the Inboard side of the shock tower. See attached photo.
Thanks for the info. That will be very helpful.

My truck is in the shop. Guy is installing the spring setup. Says he’s gonna have to cut the bottom bolts on the struts. Ask me about replacement bolts. Can anyone shed some light on where or how to acquire these bolts? Thanks for any help.

You might try looking up all the Ford truck or suv models for the front or rear lower shock/strut, maybe you will get lucky and find a match. I last time I checked with Ford the OEM bolt was like $80 per bolt, but it’s discontinued now days. Maybe a Grade8 bolt is the way to go. Let us know what you find. Good Luck.

Latest posts