Scored a Bed Extender for $15 Today! But... the Mounting holes on my Trac are Not threaded? How do I install it??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Rich

Reaction score
I found a Bed Extender today for $15 at a Salvage, among other various parts. It's in perfect shape, however, I thought it would be an easy install to my 2005.
You can see in the pic that the holes in my truck are not threaded? Am I going to have to find the right tap size and thread holes to mount it? Why would the holes not be threaded already?

Attachments

• IMG_20210913_134837825.jpg
    IMG_20210913_134837825.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210913_134935736.jpg
    IMG_20210913_134935736.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 110
It can be done using the bolts you have. They will cut the threads as you force them to screw into the holes, but it's difficult to keep them straight, and it takes considerable effort to turn them. Using the correct size tap is MUCH easier. I did one hole with the bolt, and bought a tap for the second one. All you need is the tap, and they're not expensive. You can use a wrench or pliers to turn it. Pliers or Vice Grips work well as you can push in as you turn.

Thanks, I can get a tap at my work.
Other problem is I could only get one of the bolts out. I thought a tailgate latch bolt might work, but it's too long.
I can't even find these bolts for sale online. Nothing similar at the hardware store. Will have to invent something, or go back to the salvage with more tools.

You don't happen to remember the tap size?

Edit: Apparently its just a door striker bolt that's around $10.
I'll probably just try and cut/die the tailgate bolt as I have the tools at my work.

Last edited:
I used door striker bolts I got at the salvage yard. I got my extender from someone who'd sold/traded their truck and I didn't get the bolts. I think the ones I used were from a Focus. If you have one bolt, you can find a match. I kind of guessed.

Mine has spring-loaded pull tabs that make it really easy to install and remove. I didn't know that some of them are bolt-in, which I think would make installation and removal a time consuming task. Having it in all the time takes up yet more precious cargo space when the extension is not needed.

Grabbed a few different size tailgate bolts today. Will see which work.

Also grabbed a center console with air vents/blower. Not sure how hard of a swap that is into mine with the non air console. It has a wiring plug for power/ground to the blower controls and 12V plug. Not sure if that plug is behind my radio area or not, or if I can splice into the existing lighter port.

PRA4SNW, the extender has to mount on bolts below the tailgate bolts. The pull tabs you refer to, hold it on to the bolts, correct?

Thanks. Got it installed using the bolt I got with it, and one from a salvage I think from an old F150 that was almost the same size.
Used a 3/8 - 16 Tap, that wasn't an exact match. Must be Metric, which I didn't have. Was close enough to get the bolts threaded in.

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_074914816.jpg
    IMG_20210915_074914816.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 95
I found a Bed Extender today for $15 at a Salvage, among other various parts. It's in perfect shape, however, I thought it would be an easy install to my 2005.
You can see in the pic that the holes in my truck are not threaded? Am I going to have to find the right tap size and thread holes to mount it? Why would the holes not be threaded already?
The hole in your photo looks like the top or bottom lock in position hole. There should be 3 holes, center for the extender and the top and bottom for locking it in position.

Mine has spring-loaded pull tabs that make it really easy to install and remove. I didn't know that some of them are bolt-in, which I think would make installation and removal a time consuming task. Having it in all the time takes up yet more precious cargo space when the extension is not needed.
I think this response explains the lack of threads. Obviously some models were built with threaded center holes (like my 2010 LTD) and others were built expecting a spring-loaded pin on the bed extender at the hinge point. When I built my home-made bed extender I just grabbed some standard American thread bolts from my shop stock - nothing special needed at all.

I took some photos of my setup.
Maybe Ford changed the design to make the middle pivot point a bolt-on?
Mine has the post that makes installation / removal really easy.
There is also a possibility that I'm still misunderstanding something.

Attachments

• BedExtender3.jpg
    BedExtender3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 87
  • BedExtender2.jpg
    BedExtender2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 79
  • BedExtender1.jpg
    BedExtender1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 91
What you're calling a post is what we're talking about. They screw in, but if the truck didn't leave the factory with an extender, the posts aren't there and the holes aren't threaded.
I think that is too broad of a generalization. My 2010 Gen 2 did not come from the factory with a bed extender. The center holes were threaded but there were no posts.

Middle hole….. use 1/2 inch drive ratchet…. PUSH hard and level.... the bolt CUTS new threads... no tap needed..

All I can say is, the bed extender should have been standard issue with all of these trucks, not an option. They're just that handy. :)