SD cards is there a difference

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I see some memory cards that say SD and some say SDHC. What is the difference.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
they are basically the same just one holds more stuff SD=Secure Digital SDHC=Secure Digital High Capacity.

a 2Gig SD card will actuall only hold 1.8Gigs or so of pictures, documents, ect... due to the information that is previously loaded on the card to make it operate.

but a 2Gig SDHC card will hold 1.95Gigs or so of pictures, documents, ect...

Eddie,

There can also be a Speed difference. You will see some SD cards listed as Class-4 or Class-6 cards and occasionally your camera may require a specific speed Class. I cannot confirm if a slower card will work? It might but may have a big delay while storing your photo...or perhaps not record the entire photo. Nor do I know if a camera will record a photo faster if you use a speed class faster than it's rated for??

I have only seen the speed class specified on cameras only.

...Rich

It's my understanding that with a camera the speed rating would come into play with the time between consecutive shots. It shouldn't matter at all with recording the picture itself. It may also have an effect when recording video if the video quality is higher than the speed of the card is capable of keeping up with.

I upgraded my phone's SD card to a higher speed one and it made a pretty big difference when accessing the files/software on the card.

I found a Lexar 8gb class 4 SDHC on sale for $9.

I bought a new Fuji finepix AX 300. Clearance priced at Walgreens for $21. The average ebay price is $80. Walgreens reg price was $80.

This compact camera is more powerful, than my Fuji 3800 SLR. My SLR uses XD memory. Not pocket size though. It is still a good camera. I just couldnt pass up $21.....:banana:

I dont know if this is a walgreens corporate clearance. But it is not advertised. They also clearanced pricing an $80 kodak easyshare, $21. With simular specs.

So if intrested check your walgreens stores. I stumbled into the sale while buying soda's on sale..LOL

Link to ebay and specs on the AX 300..

Eddie,

I was not real sure of JDBoxes last reply so I did some more checking and this appears to be the definitive answer:

The simple answer is that SDHC cards are defined by one of three classes that allow the user to best understand performance capabilities. The class rating of SDHC cards specifies a minimum sustained write speed.

SDHC Class 2: 2MB/sec

SDHC Class 4: 4MB/sec

SDHC Class 6: 6MB/sec

Even though the physical form factor of an SDHC card is identical to the form factor of a standard SD card, the new cards can be identified by the SDHC logo appearing on both the card packaging and the label. Unless you see the SDHC logo, then its best to assume that the card is in the standard SD format.

SDHC cards will usually advertise a maximum speed (such as 80x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. One critical difference between the Speed Class and the maximum speed ratings is the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required.

Sometimes a class 4 SDHC card will out-perform a class 6 SDHC card in your device because it may have a higher max speed and your device can make good use of it due to better compatibility between the two.

If you want to be safe you should go by the SDHC class rating on the package. If you want the fastest performance with your device check around and look on forums to see if your new camcorder and make use of that 150x speed rating.

Remember:

Maximum speed ratings are unofficial and have no formal evaluation process.

If your camera or device cannot read the speed class of the card, it's possible that it may or may not be any faster and may just default to the "Maximum Speed" which could make a class 4 card write faster than a class 6.

...Rich

The cameras manual. Says use class 4. that is what I bought.

Im also looking at this class 10.

Any input on the brand and price.