Seafoam Cleaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
All I can say is thanks Shawn... I did this over the weekend, and I am completely shocked at how much better my ST idles, and the throttle response. I can’t believe something this simple is not in the manual for routine maintenance.

Do a search in the projects section. There is a write up. Basically you suck the seafoam in through the vacuum hose, turn off engine, let stand 5-10 min and start back up. It will smoke like hell until it burns off. It will clean the internals of the engine. Google seafoam as well and go to their web site. It looks like a really neat product that I had never heard before it was brought up here over the past few weeks.

ScoTt

I would have done this over the weekend but I had to much other things to get done like install the throttle body from Zabteck . . . :) and watching football!

Last edited by a moderator:
LilRed check out the projects section it is fairly new project. And believe me it works well, well at least for my ST it did.

XST, here is a list of places that sell SeaFoam. It's from thier site. Hope it helps. (got mine at Advance Auto);)

Where to Buy SEA FOAM

Sea Foam is not sold online, but we would be happy to help you locate your nearest dealer. Please email us your address at [email protected].

SEA FOAM can be found in many of the following auto parts stores:

ABC Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts

Auto Value

Bumper to Bumper

CARQUEST Auto Parts

Midway Auto Supply

NAPA Auto Parts

O'Reilly Auto Parts

Parts Plus

PEPBOYS Auto

Pronto Auto Parts

Not really sure XST. I plan on doing it every 10K miles from now on. It's easy and doesn't cost that much at all. I wouldn't think it would have to be done like the Fuel additives that are out there. (usually every other fill-up) Just be ready for the smoke! It still surprises me how much there was.:D;)

I can vouch this works as well... I did the service last night, and it idles a lot better than it used to. It actually used to drop down in idle when coming to a stop and now that seems to be gone for the time being...

Great project, so, so, so simple.

This stuff claims to do everything!. I full expect to get 50 mpg and be able to go from 0-60 in about 3 seconds after I use this. :)

Any danger in doing this?

I've never heard of the product before, and I'm not keen on sucking just anything into my engine.

Piro, I have used this product for YEARS in lawnmowers. Before we would overhaul an engine (one that still ran of course), we would pour some into the oil, gas and some right into the cylinder. Let it set for awhile, start it up and let it smoke. When we would take the engine apart, there would be no carbon anywhere, even at the very top of the cylinder where it's a constant problem with lawnmowers. If the problem was a stuck valve, pour it into the oil and start it up and let run. After about 1 min, the valve would be free and the motor running fine.

This was the first time to use it in this mannor on my ST. I notice an improvement on my idle. I have also held off saying anything till I ran a few tanks of gas through just to be sure, but since doing this, I can run 87 gas in my ST again. Before I had to run 89 or else it would sound like a desiel engine going up hills. Not anymore. It's also how they (SeaFoam) recommend administering the product. Some places actually do this and charge $100+ to do it. The bottle usually goes for $5-$6.;)