Serpentine Belt Wheels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Jor

Reaction score
I have an 2003 with the 4.0L. The alternator is on the right side of the engine. Moving toward the left following the belt is a smaller wheel about 5" the belt goes over. This wheel has three bolts and seems to be attached to an aluminum assembly. It has a small hexigon cap on the right side. Can this be causing my engine to make a clicking sound when I first start it? The noise dissapears after a couple minutes. Would it be hard for me to replace as a DIY? Does it get filled with an oil, which could be causing the clicking noise?

Thanks for the help

Greg

It sounds like the AC clutch is clicking on and off....... Have the A/C system checked... OR try starting the truck with all the ac knob sin the OFF position..

The pulley with the 3 bolts is the P/S pump by the way...

Todd Z

Take the belt off, fire it up, and see if the sound is still there. If not, it's not anything to do with the belt or any belt-driven accessories.

Now, TURN OFF THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU FRY IT! It only takes a couple of minutes to overheat without the water pump. A few seconds should tell you what you need to know.