Service dept defies common logic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Keller

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had my Trac serviced at the dealer yesterday. When I was paying for the service I asked the manager about places to take my Trac to engage the 4X4 unit, as it should be done monthly. He agreed that it should be done monthly but I was shocked to hear him say do it anywhere you drive even on streets. Just make sure that you are in neutral when starting to shift into 4X4. This goes against everything I have learned from this site, but he is a dealer service manager at a Ford dealer. Has anybody else heard of this?

You can engage 4wd on dry streets in a straightaway. As soon as you try and make a turn it will bind up.

How long should 4wd be engaged each month? I usually engage it for about 5 minutes when I remember.

It doesn't hurt anything when going in a straight line. The system is a shift-on-the-fly system, so you don't need to be in neutral to shift into 4x4 High. hen turning a corner, the lack of having a center differential, will cause your drivetrain to bind up.

Tom

I thought with 4x4 low you had to come to a stop, shift into neutral, then into 4 low?

I guess I was taking it for granted someone knows how to operate the 4x4 system in the first place.

Tom

i think it says in the maual going into 4x4low you must be in Nuetral and 4x4 high u can go into at anyspeed as long as your wheels aren't spinning.

i didn't know you had to use it atleast once a month good to know

I have engaged mine literally hundreds of time on dry pavement. As others have noted, just do so on a street that is pretty straight.

For 4-Low you must be at a complete stop, in Neutral, with your foot on the brake. After that it takes a few seconds to engage.

Latest posts