Service dept got me again. Groan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ioco

Reaction score
My drivers side door lock stopped working when the rivet that holds the door actuator popped off. I took in explained the problem, and indicated it was covered by the extended warranty, as power door locks are.

Just got a call that the power door lock hardware is, but not this. :angry::angry::angry: They already took the door apart, so I would have to pay the $40 "checkout fee". For $120, they'll fix it.

I'm so pissed. Never am I buying an extended warranty again!!

Extended warranties will almost guarantee discontentment and a series of pissing contests if you ever try to use them.

Sure, there are those that like them because their tranny went at 50K, or somesuch.

But...transmissions AREN'T supposed to go at 50K miles. They just aren't.

My next vehicle is a used luxury Euro import, a couple years old and with under 40K miles. Sure, it will cost about the same as a Ford or Chevy, but the warranties are better and the track record of being able to expect the car to go to 100K or 150K miles without major incident is there.

TJR

I feel for ya. I took mine in last week for the "timing chain rattle at 2-3K RPM" and all I got told out of it was that it was "normal for this engine, and to use only Motorcraft oil filters and that should take care of it. Cost to me? $63.50. My warrenty co-pay if they would have taken care of the problem? $50. I'm not real happy either. My Extended warrenty is through Fidelity and the dealer didn't want to probably have to deal with them.;)

Official Ford ESP would have covered it.

I run into aftermarket warranties frequently that don't cover most of what goes wrong with a car.

Extended warranties are a crock. Ford needs to extend it's regular coverage to at least 5 years, 60k. I might then be tempted to buy a Ford again.

The problem with many aftermarket warranties is that they don't cover everything that they would like you to believe they do. Even if they do cover the problem, many dealerships don't like to do business with them because the warranty companies are so difficult to deal with and the customer gets mad at the repair facility.

If you have an aftermarket extended warranty, you should always ask the dealership or repair facility if they will accept and honor the third party warranty. Unfortunately, there are only about one or two aftermarket warranties that have a good reputation and are accepted by most repair facilities.

...Rich

The problem with many aftermarket warranties is that they don't cover everything that they would like you to believe they do.

That's not just with aftermarket, I'm learning it's the same thing with the ford ESP. I'm anxiously awaiting the call back to find out what they're going to tell me about the tie-rod.

That's the problem with extended warranties. We have Ford's and know from experience that we probably are going to want the extended warranty because a bunch of crap will happen after 36K miles and before we get rid of the vehicle; and at the same time, we know that extended warranties are a hassle because they really are just an insurance policy, and like any insurance, when you try to make a claim the average MO is to DENY first and only pony up money if you absolutely have to!

TJR

I called ESP's customer relations number, and they can only help me if I provide a part number. I don't know if there will be a part number on this rivet or not. Not sure what to do here, but I feel like I may have a case to challenge this.

I read this on another extended warranty site:

It is important for the consumer to understand what is meant by "wear and tear". When a part or component has failed because it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition. When the part has worn beyond the manufacturer's tolerances allowed for that particular vehicle at the mileage when the problem occurs, if it has received manufacturer's recommended maintenance. It is very important to understand the difference between "wear and tear" items, and parts that are considered normal maintenance that can wear out. Components that cannot perform the function for which they were designed for, regardless if they wear out or break are covered. Normal maintenance items that usually wear out are typically not covered under an extended warranty program. Some examples of parts that wear out that are not covered are brake pads and rotors, brake shoes and drums, and manual clutches.

I think you are being screwed to be honest with you.

This is a common issue. Do a search and you will get probably a hundred hits on it. I have explained several times on the fix to the issue. Ford HAS to know how common this is. That said, it is not normal wear and tear.

I would give them an option, fix it for no charge, (or your deductible) or I will NEVER be back as well as ensure I tell every person I know of the poor service from the perspective of the administration side of the house.

They are trying to run it through with the part number of the actuator, I believe. Waiting to hear back.... again.

Also waiting to hear what they find upon second inspection of the front wheel play.

TJR was absolutely right. You have to When I asked for the part number to give to ESP customer relations, they were "able to run it through" a different way. Amazing how they can do that ....