Shes a Squeal'n

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Mercer

Reaction score
Ok almost hard turn right, almost hard left and she squeals like shes a banshee. I say almost hard right / left because when its full lock left or right no squeal. What gets me is even after i straigten out and drive she still squeals for a few minutes. Any ideas? I just replaced the belt and tensioner a few months ago! no visable damage to the belt, and this just started a few weeks ago. Now question... anyone have any real pics of how the tensioner is supposed to look? Because i could of swore when i put it on, the pully was hanging low. Now its to the side.

Sounds like the belt is too long...

What size was the new belt ???

Todd Z

Could be a bad tensioner or a really long belt, or did you seat it on the engine block properly? Gen 1 or 2 Trac?

For a Gen 1... Side? No. Should be pointing down around 6:00 6:15 on the clock, with the wear indicator just to the right or center of wear markings. If it's to the side, I'm surprised it hasn't snapped.

Same size belt as the original, i measured. And i lined up the little tab to the hole for it on the engine block. I just bought a new belt, so when the engine cools I will get a better look at it. Thanks for all your help. :cool:

Heres what i found, after purchasing a new belt, and taking off the newish belt tensioner, i found that there was a structural defect in the belt tensioner. There where 2 small triangles that kept the tensioner from swinging to far right, or left. However, 1 of these triangles (or stops) where missing and had appeared to have been broken off. I put a new tensioner, and belt. Now the pull is at th 6 o'clock position!!! thanks guys! Tomorrow entails a transmission fluid change with filter, and oil change with filter, would of been today but my amsoil dealer closed early :(