Shifter Kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still kind of thinking of plunking down huge $ for a 08 STA. Being an owner of a Dodge Hemi Magnum presentlty I was wondering if there are any after market shifter kits out there that might replicate how Chryler's Auto Stick works on their 5 speed auto trans. It makes driving my Magnum a whole lot more enjoyable then "D".

Auto Stick, for those that do not know how to drive a real stick.

I doubt there is a shift kit for that. An old Tranny, you could do that. It would manual all the time, though. The new tranny's...not that I know of.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus the new tranny is soooo computer controlled that any shifter would be useless..... The computer shifts the tranny not the driver...

Todd Z

I know the 5R55S tranny can be controlled via paddle shifters. There's no reason in my mind why the newer 6R wouldn't be able to.

Just drive the sucker as hard as you want. The on-board computer will learn your habits and pretty much do what you are looking for. ;) Most of the newer computer-controlled vehicles learn as you drive. At least, that's what I've been told by several different techs (both OEM and independent). I've been told that if you want to re-train a vehicle's computer, unhook the battery for about 15-30 minutes, then reconnect it and drive it like you want to.

The electronic tranny's are the only ones that can be manually controlled the way the Auto Stick's do. You're just sending a signal to the computer that says you want to shift now, and the computer shifts the trans for you. Other than no one makes one, I don't see any reason it can't be done.

Richie18 - how about the 5R55E?

I am interested in an override to the automatic shifting (that will get me to all gears) for the 5R55E. Any ideas where I can look?

Not a prob yard

get a flasher that takes out the rev limiter, start out in first, shift to second when you feel the need, than to D.

I am sure with switches or a control box you can make something, BUT the complex issue is the releasing of the one gear and locking of the next in the correct timing as not to blow it up or lock it in two gears....

Though they seem to Blow them selves up.... :eek::rolleyes::lol:

Todd Z

Well, of course there are!

What I meant is that, with all the "phone trees" (notice the quotes), it is rare these days, that one can contact a company and talk to a person and not be referred to a website or having to select from a pre-configured list of questions and answers.

A few years ago, I called B&M asking whether they made shift kits or other products for the 5R55E. I was told that they didn't, but was also told that I would be surprised with what could be done with a programmer (which most now know). (Hoping the customer service is the same now.)

My '08 will shift manually through 1-2-3 until you get to Drive. Mine is a V6, the V8 uses a different transmission. I don't know if it would work the same but I suspect it does.