Shifting Problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I took my 07 Limited ST back to the dealer today, for the same problem with the AT transmission shifting hard ( feels like someone is rear ending you) when slowing down or coming to a complete stop. I printed out the report about the TCM and took it with me, they called and said it was definately the transmission, and was having to order a Full bottle throttle kit. Okay, I am a female, but if I am not mistaken, isn't that like Fuel Injection etc??

What would that have to with the transmission.. Someone please enlighten me , if there is any connection in the two. The Dealer said it had nothing to do with the TCM and I will have to ask if they even reset it. Needless to say I am very disappointed in ford, I have only 10,000 miles on my ST and already had to have my front rotors turned, and now transmission problems. Not for sure how much longer I will keep it , if I keep having problems with it.

Thanks for any help...:(

IS it called a Valve Body kit ??? Thats the transmission part....

Hope it fixes it..

Todd Z

Can you tell me what exactly the Value Body Kit does? All this new stuff on these cars and trucks, I am more old school when it comes to cars and trucks. Thanks

The valve body is just that, it is the channels and fluid veins that the fluid runs through opening servos, running through solenoids and other things like that.. IF it has a stuck valve or dirty port it will not work right...

ALSO ford may have seen this issue and updated the part...

Here is a pic of a valve body in the transmission.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd, I will find out for sure tomorrow, because I swore they said full throttle kit, but anyway, I will let you all know the outcome..Thanks again

Isn't the full name for the part the "Valve Throttle Body"? Perhaps that is where the confusion is coming from. I though the transmissions on the '07s was different than the '05s and earlier. Do they build the new ones in France too?

gatorgirl,

The transmission valvebody is the hydraulic brain of the transmission. The automatic transmissiion uses fluid pressure to shift gears, and to engage and disengage various clutches that operate the various gear sets.

The valvebody is controlled by electric solenoids valves that are manged by the ECU computer. The computer activates the solenoids to tell what gear to shift to and the solenoids extend or retract valves in the valvebody that redirect the hydraulic pressure to the correct clutches and disengage the current gear and shift into the next gear.

I suspect that they will be feplacing the "Full valvebody" which is the whole valvebody, the separator plate and gaskets. That may even replace the solenoid pack since sticking solenoid valves is the usual cause for this problem and the sticking overloads the solenoids causing them to weaken or even fail.

...Rich

Did that fix your problem?

I too have had shifting issues. Mine was a hard shift into second. I've had it in two or three times now and every time they just flash the computer with an updated program. Seems to work for a bit but then a new shifting problem seems to arise after awhile. Now it's shifting hard when shifting down. I guess I'll just keep taking it in until they get sick of me or fix it for good. Do you think harm is being done to my transmission by the shifting issues?