shimmy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just bought my s/t used and i love it excert for the gas mileage. it has a shimmy in the front end at low speeds, such as backing from a parking space or slow turns. ford replaced the rack and pinion and put a new alignment on it. it is stii doing it, but they say it will go away in about 1000 miles when it is broke in. i'm not sure. can someone enlighten me with some info or experiences they have so i can have a better idea of whats wrong when and if i have to go back. thanks

I think there is an issue with the power steering pump. maybe some one else will chime in on that.

Exactly correct...power steering pump is not strong enough...they replace it with one from an Explorer I believe.....but if you're out of warranty, forget it and live with it..it's not that bad! Doesn't hurt a thing!

There is a TSB out. As noted above Ford will replace it with a traditional 4 Door Explorer.

I had mine done, solves the issue..

I have the same thing in my 01 sport trac. Was told that it has something to do with new brakes being put on it and to bleed them just a little and it would go away. Haven't tried that yet but will let you know.

oc...

Here is your T.S.B.:

T.S.B. # 031912 (Late 2001- 2005 SportTrac):

N.H.T.S.A. Item # 10007369:

" Steering shudder felt when turning, driving at low speeds, or at a stop

while turning steering wheel".

Fix is to replace power steering pump assembly with assembly from 4-door

Explorer ( Not Explorer Sport).

The rack thing is a LOAD!, especially when they say it will take a thousand miles

to correct itself. Any worthwhile and proper repair that corrects a situation should

be noticed almost, if not immediately!

Latest posts