Shocks on a dropped Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkA Bryan 2

Reaction score
If I drop my 2002 Sport Trac as in the project section ( screw backed out on front and blocks on the rear will the stock shocks still work like there suppose to or are new ones in order?:unsure:

Yeah, with the lowering style you're gonna do, the original shocks will be fine. BUT, if they're OEM's, I'd suggest changing them lowered or not. Just because they are crap, like bill stated.

Only problem I had when my 05 was lowered was the bump stops really bumped and stopped. You can either cut them shorter (project on it [link]) or buy new shorter stops for about $50.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessary, but if you plan on doing a drop, I would strongly recommend it. I swapped out my stock shocks for rancho rs5000's prior to dropping mines, but I could see how you would be bottoming out a lot with the oem's since they provide absolutely no shock absorbency.

I've been contemplating lowering my Trac a la the project here on this site. I'm currently running Rancho RSX shocks, EE Rear Sway Bar, and a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit. Will lowering the Trac have any negative effect with these mods?

Last week did a 3" drop using torsion keys and lowering blocks acquired from fellow member

Dan Long and the guidance of Keola (HawaiianST).

My objective was to "streamline" the appearance of my stock '05 XLS.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome in terms of appearance. Sweet and low.

As for handling. WOW! Can't believe lowering the CG a mere 3 inches would transform my "bus" into a nimble machine with a 126 inch wheel base. LOL.

Unbelievable cornering and traction improvement with this mod alone.

I did replace the four OEM (POS) with Monroe "Sensa-Trac" Shocks several months ago with improved results. Nothing like the 3" drop improvement though. Not even close.

The "scary" part is these ST'ers tell me adding the EE "X Spec" or ADDCO 633 Rear Sway Bar will improve the ride and handling as much as replacing shocks OR lowering.

Definitely my next project, a no brainer. Can't go wrong with the MySt tech support, by far the most imformative and free resource of info on or off line.

Don't expect to get FREE "how to" advice from your local "specialty" shop. Doesn't work that way, at least around here.

P.S.- I have yet to "bottom out" going over the largest speed bumbs or curbs. I do NOT go "off roading". Pics posted in my library. First 5 "before", second 5 "after". More pics upon request. Keep in mind I am riding on 225/75R16 "rubberbands". (Not my choice, bought the XLS used).

Attn: Bigjorgiee

May be a good idea to consult with the others I have previously mentioned that did this project a while ago.

Lot's of info regarding "lowering" or "dropping" in the projects section in the "Ride and Handling" category.

Also use the ST Board "SEARCH" function, select "WHEN TO SEARCH", and check "ALL POSTS".

The rear shocks will be exactly the same because they mount below the lowering blocks, so the blocks don't affect their positioning or the range in which they travel, aside from limiting their max compression. The fronts will also be OK, although they ~might~ wear a little faster because they'll constantly be compressed a bit more than normal, but they still won't bottom out because your suspension will limit that before the shock does.