Should I be suspicious?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi All! You have always been such a good group for input that I am coming to you with this question. I am looking at trading my trac in on a 15 Explorer Limited with only 8k miles. It has a clean carfax report. When I drove it, I noticed that the steering wheel is off center. I didn't matter what lane I was driving in or what speed. It didn't pull. No other signs of an issue. It seems to me that a vehicle this new and miles shouldn't have this issue. Am I crazy or should I be suspicious and have it checked out? Thanks!

1. Always be suspicious; always.

2. Have it checked. Could be a poor workmanship in the alignment; could be more.

3. I think this steering wheel thing is not related to your mental state (just sayin').

If the purchase is from a dealer, have them check the alignment. If from an individual, ask about the service records. In any instance, should a problem arise the original 3/36 warranty should cover it. I have a '16 Explorer and am very pleased with it.

I agree with Yardsale...Always be suspicious !

Have the selling dealer check the alignment and straighten the wheel...Then test drive it again.

If it tracks straight and is not pulling either left or right, the front end may have been aligned without centering the steering wheel (an all to common problem) I don't think you have any serious front-end problems but it never hurts to have it checked and fixed before you lay your money on the table.

...Rich

Latest posts