Should I Be Worried

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mylimyles

Reaction score
Today after enjoying the sound of the ST purring. I smelled the smell of coolant burning. After looking under the hood I noticed a little coolant seeping from this area.

[Broken External Image]:

As I continued to inspect I can see a small puddle of coolant on the ground and coolant on this area. and some splatter on various parts.

[Broken External Image]:

Does anyone think that I need to replace the Thermostat or what?

I didn't notice the ST running hot in fact the resivor is at the level it should be. I didn't take off the radiator cap to see what that level was.

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not the expert here but it looks like a bad seal. I would replace the seal and put a new thermostat in while you're at it. They're cheap. Good luck.

Ed

i had the same problem with mine. turns out when i installed the Body Lift, the coolant hose was too close to the fan and the fan had worn a small hole in it. i would check that first before you go buy other parts.

*edit* didnt pay attention to your pictures - sorry i didnt have the leak there. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was thinking changing the thermostat. Is there one that I should look into to help the ST run cooler or just stick with the recommended replacement?

Thanks

Looks like the T-stat gasket. Hopefully the plastic is not cracked....

You can only run a cooler T-stat if you have an Xcal and the computer is told it is ok...

Some times on the computer controlled cars if the engine doesn't get over 190 degrees F the truck will not run right...

Todd Z

In my experiance, that a cooler t-stat on the ford EEC-IV computers, doesnt make much diference in power. Only on highly moded motors with computer parameter changes, I have seen major power differences... As Todd said, it may not run right..