Should I or shouldn't I

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2007 ST, V8, 4x4 with a factory towing package. We are interested in a new camper trailer that could weight up to 6200lbs loaded. All the info I can find says we have a max towing capacity of 6990lbs. The class III/IV hitch says 7450lbs with weight distribution.

What I want to know is, even thought I could tow such weight, is it safe to do so? Do I risk an usafe condition with that load on? Do I need to upgrade the rear suspension or anything to pull a camper this size?

I'd hate to have to buy a new truck to have this camper but I will.

If it were me I would use a weight distribution hitch, that along with a good trailer brake controller and you should be allright

Brings up a good idea....

What's the heaviest thing any of you guys have towed, PICS must be attached!

And your FAT wife does not count, LoL

JUST KIDDING.

While I agree it should handle it, why not look into a lightweight trailer? I have a 32 footer that scales at 4400lbs empty. There are alot of lightweights out there and it sure is easier on the truck. jmo

The trailer we want is about 4400lbs dry. By the time we add water and food and clothes and all the other "stuff" that ends up in a camper we just guessed 6k. I have a brake controller installed already.

Thanks for the info.

Gotcha. But I doubt that you would be at 6k. I added a water tank to up my capacity to 80 gal. The water weighs 640lbs. That puts me at 5k. A thousand pounds for other stuff would be a plenty. In any case I think you should be fine.