Should I paint my STA wheels black?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 3

Reaction score
My 2008 STA has it's original wheels and they are badly corroded as I live right on the ocean and the truck is parked outside. I inquired at a wheel shop about getting them refinished, but the shop I went to does not do that and suggested painting them black, as it would complement the black trim on the truck and give a "Bumblebee" effect. They say they can paint all 4 in satin black for $400.00. I'm not sure I would like it, anyone here have any experience, pluses/minuses?

Plasti dip them in black & see if you like them.
since you can just peel it off if you dont like them.

& if you can, powder coating is better for wheels then paint.

i agree with tombstone on plastic dip, my wheels are chrome and i have gone back and fourth on black for awhile then chrome, the black is so much easier to keep clean. way simple, and pressure washes off way easy.

way cool looking ride ya got and black would look sick i think. if you do post some pics of it.

I just painted my wheels with Plasti Dip just to see how they looked. They were looking pretty rough, and I'm not looking to buy new ones. Came out better than I expected, will see how they last. Used two cans for $12.
IMG_20210908_195231999.jpg
IMG_20210908_185537726_HDR.jpg

much much better, truck has a more sporty look.

Ewwww you have the cheap ugly stock rims!
Same ones were on my current 05 ST when I got it & they were FUNKY~!!!!
(even worse then the middle of yours there)

So I swapped rims with my 01 ST before I junked it :D

Which are starting to peel at the center as well now ><
Probably just end up painting mine black as well.
As those look Much better painted!

(edit)
& if you want the bumpers & skirts to look new again, just spray them with that foaming tire shine.
Pretty much lasts until a good rain or you wash the truck.

thats my method at least, instead of painting them.

Last edited:
I bought a set of aftermarket rims that were sliver and black but the previous owner painted them all black with the edge red and it was chipping pretty bad. I sanded them and painted them gloss black with 3 coats of clear to try to protect them.
Haven't got them on the truck yet to know how well they will hold up but they look good.🤔

Attachments

• 8283B353-7578-45EA-ABD2-CA83C8F7AB6E.jpeg
    8283B353-7578-45EA-ABD2-CA83C8F7AB6E.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 62
  • BD613B13-4294-4A34-911D-856AF89E169A.jpeg
    BD613B13-4294-4A34-911D-856AF89E169A.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 61
(edit)
& if you want the bumpers & skirts to look new again, just spray them with that foaming tire shine.
Pretty much lasts until a good rain or you wash the truck.

thats my method at least, instead of painting them.
Yeah, I trieD some of the Trim Restore liquid and it started to fade back after a day. Also just tried the Heat Gun/Torch method which darkened it a bit, but wanted darker. Ended up using the Plasti Dip again a few hours ago, not bad, again, I'll have to see how it lasts.
IMG_20210909_222927280.jpg
IMG_20210909_203711345_HDR.jpg

My 2008 STA has it's original wheels and they are badly corroded as I live right on the ocean and the truck is parked outside. I inquired at a wheel shop about getting them refinished, but the shop I went to does not do that and suggested painting them black, as it would complement the black trim on the truck and give a "Bumblebee" effect. They say they can paint all 4 in satin black for $400.00. I'm not sure I would like it, anyone here have any experience, pluses/minuses?
Have you decided anything on the rims yet?
I think black rims would look super nice on yellow! You should consider purchasing 4 black rims instead of spraying them black. If they start peeling from the salt water life, it won’t be any fun peeling it off.

Josie

Latest posts