Should my brakes be squeaking?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently had my front brakes (pads and rotors) replaced at a local Ford dealership. Its been about 3 months and they sqeak and scream all the time, especially at low speeds. They also are turning my front rims BLACK! Should I have asked for a certain type of pad? I assumed they would put on what I had before and they didnt make a sound. Should I take it back in? Its really giving me headaches everytime I have to stop. Thanks Again Marsha

No, they shouldn't, but they sometimes do. Ford sells two brake pad formulations, at a vast price difference.

If you are not satisfied with the service, then you should request corrective action (never tell them what to do, only that you are not satisfied, and why). Depending on the opinion they give and what they want to do, you may have to pay the cost difference between the two pads. I’d not pay any more than that (no additional labor) and the rationale would be that you were not informed or given a choice and that it is lack of information on they’re part that may have caused your return. It is reasonable to assume that the replacement parts provided by a Ford dealer would be OEM. This is not always the case, but neither is the contrary, and customers should be informed.

If the brake dust is more than before, the new pads are probably not the same as the old. You shouldn’t have to request a certain pad. If there is an option, it should be presented to you.

You had both the pads and rotors replaced? Is this the first pad replacement? Look at the invoice to see what pad was used and the cost. I don’t now remember the exact cost, but the “Ford” pads are well over $100.00, the “Motorcraft” are below.

There has been much discussion regarding brake pad “bedding” (Internet search for 'brake" and bedding"). Basically when a rotor is new or newly resurfaced, there are open pores that are filled with pad material. The theory is that, if the initial braking isn’t done in increments, the pores will not fill evenly and the pads will vibrate due to the uneven rotor surface and texture. You, and everyone around your car, notice this as squeaking. I don’t buy into it 100%, but proper bedding is fairly quick and easy, and it can’t hurt.

I mention bedding because your new rotors are now bedded, properly or not, and new pads, with a different formulation, should probably be installed with freshly resurfaced rotors, so that the material in the rotor is the same as that in the new pads. This should not be a cost to you either. They will probably treat you as crazy for mentioning this, but if they know about brakes, whether or not they subscribe to brake pad bedding, they’ll know what you are talking about.

Others - chime-in.

T'nblack chime-in'! Agree 100% with Yardsale on this. If He isn't certified, he should be.

I've been an A.S.E and Michigan Certified Mechanic for 20+ years now, and brakes

are one of my specialties. Ford's responsibility to notify you of any options/optional

parts on any brake job, and make you fully aware of your choices (and consequences)

thereof. Squeaking could also be a result of the mechanics failure to clean and lube

the sliders on disc brake calipers, or the backing plate and inner shoe edges on

drum brakes. This will cause a high-frequency vibration noise (the squeaking)

due to metal-to-metal contact between these two surfaces.Also, most owners

manuals, and instructions on the better aftermarket brake parts advise you from

making "harsh or abrupt" stops during the first 0-100 miles (20-50 normal brake

applications) to allow the pads or pads and rotors to properly seat, mate or "bed"

together. This does make a difference in the longevity and performance of a new

brake job. Also, give us some more specifics on your trac, like year, make model,

any warranty left, etc... and we might be able to help you better!

I replaced the pads myself and had some squalling for the first 1500 miles, and occassionally when I turn a corner just right (???). Mine is due to the fact that the pads I got from Autozone are slightly larger than the OEM pads, therefore touch on the rotors on areas the OEM's did not, thus touching the ridges left over. The high spots are the cause of the squeal. If the dealer did not turn the rotors, there may be high spots on yours left. Course the OEM rotors rarely have enough to safely turn off to smooth out the surface.

I have to add (because I don't like to be taken advantage of) - if you end-up with replacement pads and they agree to resurface the rotors, insist on new rotors. Why? First, you purchased new rotors and that's what you should drive off with when all is said and done. Second, because, usually, rotors can be resurfaced only two or three times, then that have to be replaced. If they resurface the new rotors, you are one-third into a new set of rotors through no fault of yours.

Latest posts