Should Tonneau cover locks match ignition key?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtrinker

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Sport Trac. The ignition key doesn't seem to work to lock the tonneau cover. I cannot confirm if it is the original cover, but regardless I only have the one key. Maybe there is a trick to locking it?

From the factory, yes. If the owner added it later on then no. But wiggle the key and try wd40, maybe it was never opened and its just stuck. Happens with the door locks too.

I recently purchased a 2007 Sport Trac. The ignition key doesn't seem to work to lock the tonneau cover. I cannot confirm if it is the original cover, but regardless I only have the one key. Maybe there is a trick to locking it?
In 2007, Ford decided to change the tonneau keys and the ignition key won't lock it. Your local stealer might be able to get you the tonneau key.

my 2010 also has the ignition key open the cover/ tailgate etc. I was very thankful for that.

I bought my cover used from an owner who leased the Trac. So, I got a deal but no key. I have a friend who is a locksmith who changed the lock to match the ignition key for about $40 and a few drams of a nice scotch.

2007 was a beat up year.... LOL.... late 07 and up use the same key.

I was hesitant to start a new thread just for this but when I first got my truck I tried to pull up the passenger side tonneau plug (the dummy that doesn't have a key hole) and it came off. Now I can't get it back on. There is a lip that is suppose to go over the metal clip that holds it. Any suggestions on how to do it without cutting the lip off and gluing it down?

CA92B16C-9AA1-4726-80D8-7D406F55367A.jpeg
24DCB0B5-15B7-4D7A-9856-9247C0346C6F.jpeg
95ECBFE1-A485-4450-880B-D4483518A8DF.jpeg

Open the cover, loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom, fit it back on, tighten bolts.

Open the cover, loosen the 2 bolts on the bottom, fit it back on, tighten bolts.
Ok, I figured that may be part of the solution. Unfortunately I have to remove the hard plastic underside to do so. Makes me nervous because it has about 8 bolts all on one side.

A3C1711B-19D9-41DA-A648-9B38A08ED99F.jpeg

HMMM, Just work it back on then..... Thought you could see the bolts.... Are they tree push fasteners maybe ? i doubt that though.

HMMM, Just work it back on then..... Thought you could see the bolts.... Are they tree push fasteners maybe ? i doubt that though.
no. I think I may be able to just cut a slip in one side of the lip and get it on with some good epoxy. Figured I would just take a shot to see if it had happened to anyone else.

If you soak the rubber in very hot water for a while then juice it with dish soap you can work it back on with a plastic spudging tool.