Shutdown- No End in Sight?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
How long do you think this shutdown will last?

Will Congress be able to agree on the 17th to raise the debt ceiling?

I am getting the feeling that this one is in for the long haul. No resolution in sight.

I also think this is more serious than the media and general consensus is making it out to be. I think we are on the verge of a coup or civil war.

Gavin,

I don't know how long it will last, but I also don't agree that we are on the verge of a coup or civil war.....at least not yet.

I don't think it is as bad as the Obama administration or the Media is making it. If it was that bad, I think the Democrats would be willing to sit down an talk with the Republican controlled Congress about possible solitions....Whenever the Republicans offer a solution, the Democrats in the Senate say it will be Dead on Arrival, without ever looking at it.

As for ObamaCare. The Republican Congress reluctantly approved it based on the costs that were presented at that time. Since then the costs and statements made by Obama were not true. The Secretary of Health and Welfare made an announcement about 6-8 months ago indicating that the cost for ObamaCare was considerably more than previously stated. Also Obama assured everyone who already had Health Care insurance, that their plan would not change...they could keep their plan, keep their doctors, and it would not cost them anymore money. Now there is a change to that too....

People who are healthy, rarely get sick and rarely need to go to doctors, and who opted for Health Care plans that are more of a catastrophic Health insurance with high deductibles are now being told that their old plans don't meet the minimum requirements for ObamaCare, so they must switch to a higher priced plan with more coverage lower deductibles, and lower co-pays than they want or need. Not to mention that these new plans are being forced on them as a manidtory requirement or they must pay a penalty.

I think that is why the Republicans are against ObamaCare. It costing much more than originally approved, and many cannot keep their old plans as promised.

...Rich

<iframe width="400" height="336" src="http://embed.crooksandliars.com/embed/MjgwNjEtNzMzNDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Debt is about to roll over to 17 trillion. 20 is where the trouble begins. Senators have their phones and websites closed so you can't complain.

Defund Obama....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this thing is going to last most of this month. The 17th debt ceiling will just fuel it on for another several weeks. No one is backing down.

Much of Maryland is on vacation thanks to this. So much for MD being "recession proof" because its residents are either takers working unnecessary jobs for the feds (or on welfare; EBT is rampant here) or working in private industry that relies almost entirely upon customers who are paid by the federal government.

I'm not much for schadenfreude but I will say that the tears of these dyed-in-the-wool federal employees here in MD who refuse to vote for any non-Democrat, non-Bigger Government candidate are delicious.:bwahaha:

Traffic in the portion of the Sprawl between the Potomac and Baltimore has been great these past few days. The government should shut down more often. :grin::driving:

It seems the only way the general public can tell is if they're trying to visit one of the heavily armored national parks.

Interesting?

Thomas Phillip "Tip" O'Neill, Jr. (December 9, 1912 ? January 5, 1994) was an American politician and Speaker of the United States House of Representatives. O'Neill was an outspoken liberal Democrat and influential member of the House of Representatives, serving for 34 years and representing two congressional districts in Massachusetts. He served as Speaker of the House from 1977 until his retirement in 1987, making him the only Speaker to serve for five complete consecutive Congresses, and the second longest-serving Speaker in U.S. history after Sam Rayburn.

Tip O'Neill (an outspoken Liberal Democrat) shut down the Federal Government 12 times during the Carter and Reagan administrations.....and we survived !

Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (/&#712;nju&#720;t &#712;&#609;&#618;&#331;&#609;r&#618;t&#643;/; born Newton Leroy McPherson; June 17, 1943) is an American politician, author, and political consultant. He represented Georgia's 6th congressional district as a Republican from 1979 until his resignation in 1999, and served as the 58th Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. Gingrich was a candidate for the 2012 Republican Party presidential nomination.

Newt Gingrich shut down the Federal Government several time during the Clinton administration....and we survived !

Newt said that this is a normal part of political compromise and is often necessary when the President's party differs from the majority in either the House or Senate as is the case now. That is part of our Checks and Balance system of the US Government. When Newt and the Republican Congress opposed Clinton's budget, he and Clinton continued to "Negotiate" a settlement that was agreeable to both sides....That's exactly how it is supposed to work

Shutting down the Federal Government is not anything new and it has never caused the country to collapse. The government has been shut down 18 times since the 1970's and we have survived just fine. But Obama and the liberal Democrats must apply their Doom and Gloom scenario, when all they have to do is be willing to negotiate.

When Obama states that he will not negotiate, it's a shot over the bow of Congress, and slams the door on any opportunity to work out a solution....?? Compromise is all part of the process and support our Constitution's requirement for a balance of power. That's what insure that our country will not be ruled by a dictatorship!

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately Newt didn't really articulate why the shutdown was necessary, a good thing or the fault of obama and the democrats when he was on The Tonight Show recently.

KL,

I don't think it's Newt's job to explain the why's or necessity of the current government shut down or if it was good or bad, since he is no longer an active political figure and probably has not had an opportunity to discuss this with The Speaker of the House, or the President.

He is a political consultant and political commentator who appears on many political TV shows. I think it shows that most people respect his opinion, even if they don't agree, and consider him to be an intelligent man with a lot of insight into the often unseen complexities of the American political system.

...Rich

...and would have made a much better candidate than Romney...but I digress.

I just read that too. They're shutting down a WWII memorial that you just walk up to. They're closing the ocean. They're arresting Vietnam vets.

How petty and sad.

Oh, and 83% of the federal government operations are continuing to run as normal.

I agree with Redfish and Hugh,

Obama is deliberately shutting down things that will inflict the most pain on the American public.

The Republicans said they would pass any bills to keep those government services open on a case by case basis. Obama and the Democrats say they want All or nothing !!! I guess they feel that if the American public suffers the most, they will blame it all on the Republicans.

It might work, or it might not...But that's a big gamble and the only losers are the American public. I suspect that both Democrats and Republicans are in for a big shock when the next election rolls around.

Personally I would vote for any and all candidates who are not affiliated with either the Democratic or Republican parties. I would like to see political parties banned since they are both too extreme and have both served to only polarize the American people. You cannot govern For the People and Of the People when you owe your allegiance to the party that got you elected. We need a lot more Moderates in our government.

...Rich

Personally I would vote for any and all candidates who are not affiliated with either the Democratic or Republican parties. I would like to see political parties banned since they are both too extreme and have both served to only polarize the American people. You cannot govern For the People and Of the People when you owe your allegiance to the party that got you elected. We need a lot more Moderates in our government.

Rich,

Ditto and Amen, All Of them are creating this great Riff of polarizing and propaganda stunts

I'm not a fan of moderates as they're supposed to be halfway between the left and the right ends of the modern political spectrum and I can't think of a single thing that is toward that left end that is any good.

The Republicans said they would pass any bills to keep those government services open on a case by case basis.

I like this in general. Analyze and debate funding every piece of the government and maybe, just maybe, we might be able to start to hack out some of the wasteful spending.

Went to DC & Mt. Vernon (VA) on Saturday. Got to see the obnoxious "Barrycades" first-hand. :banghead:

Newt and Clinton started that and Bush continued it, basically making agencies prove that the money they request each budget was well used the previous year and they actually need it for the current budget. Of course, that makes agencies spend every last penny so they don't get a cut but that's another discussion.

That's been thrown out the window, though. Remember this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DyLmru6no4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts