Side curtain air bags.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandstorm

Reaction score
Slammed (really slammed) the drivers door and the side curtain air bags deployed. No impact. No damage.

Where can I find info on abandoning them or replacing them? The rig has 185000 miles. Runs great and has many more miles to go, but I'm not spending $1000 to fix this ridiculous issue. If I can get parts for $500 and do it myself I will, but I don't think she's worth more than that.

THANKS

Slammed (really slammed) the drivers door and the side curtain air bags deployed. No impact. No damage.

Where can I find info on abandoning them or replacing them? The rig has 185000 miles. Runs great and has many more miles to go, but I'm not spending $1000 to fix this ridiculous issue. If I can get parts for $500 and do it myself I will, but I don't think she's worth more than that.

THANKS
Good information on slamming the door. [Really Slamming it] I'm shocked they deployed.
That guy on the Gold Rush show just cuts them off. [That's for humor] You may find them In a junkyard for much less. Of course on an un wreaked vehicle. [Motor-trans issues].
Good luck! Be patient you'll find the parts. There out there.

Thanks Tylerxp2. I did cut them away thinking at least tomorrow I could drive to town and get the oil changed but I discovered that the seat belt mechanisms are messed up. The system that allows the point on the pillar to slide up and down is blasted apart on both sides and the drivers seat belt is stuck retracted as if there had been a wreck. I'll replace the seat belt mechanisms from a j-yard (if I can) but that's all I'll be doing, unless an easy, inexpensive fix falls down from heaven. Thanks.

Thanks Tylerxp2. I did cut them away thinking at least tomorrow I could drive to town and get the oil changed but I discovered that the seat belt mechanisms are messed up. The system that allows the point on the pillar to slide up and down is blasted apart on both sides and the drivers seat belt is stuck retracted as if there had been a wreck. I'll replace the seat belt mechanisms from a j-yard (if I can) but that's all I'll be doing, unless an easy, inexpensive fix falls down from heaven. Thanks.
I had no idea, but now I know why the insurance companies total cars that have blown air bags. With what you described the air bags destroy a lit of the trump as well.
Best of luck finding a doner vehicle to replace those parts. They are out there, dont give up hope...