side step bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas DeMarco 2

Reaction score
i drove up a large curb and i grounded out the brakets on my platinum step bars. does anyone know if the brakets on the westin are higher up like a lower profile bracket? or know which step bars don't lose too much clearance?

As far as I know, the factory bars have the best clearance unless (maybe) you get the moulded fiberglass steps. Aftermarket bars and factory accessorie bars are lower.

The Ranger I had before had step bars and they were mostly just good for getting my pants dirty in the winter, so I purposely got a Trac without them and the wife just has to deal with it.

D Mac, it depend on the year. My 01 had brackets that were flat square looking brackets, they could hold up the weight of the truck. My 03 had the flat metal "C" (for lack of a better description) brackets and they hung down a couple of inches. They would bend whenever I would get hung up on something. I think Ford went with the cheaper bracket to keep down costs. The original brackets were 100% better.

I have grounded out the side bars a couple times so far but have not noticed any damage to them from it. I have now found out what JohnnyO is talking about with the dirt pants issue. Anytime there is snow/slush on the road the side bars get completely covered and it gets my pants/boots all dirty. I had considered taking them off but I like the looks of them too much to do that. Im hoping when I put on front mud flaps (that Santa is supposed to bring for Christmas) it will help.

D Mac, the old ones will fit if you can find them. I just left mine, that truck was such a lemon I traded it in right after the warranty expired, they never noticed that my bars were bent right up flush with the body molding. I remember that I did ask for a price on replacement at the dealer and it was something ridiculous like 100 cnd per bracket. You could always try to take them off and try to straighten the brackets in a vice or something.