Silverstar Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I hate my headlights. They are extremely poor and they were in my 2008 STA also.

I'm looking to get a lot more light out of them.

I'm seeing on this site and a few others, that people are putting SilverStar Ultras in their Gen2 ST.

I see that on the sylvania website they do not offer an Ultra line for our vehicle. Only the SilverStar is listed. I also noticed they have the same bulb for both low and highbeams.

Is there a direct fit Ultra for the Gen2 ST(A)?

hey i dont know about the gen2 but the ultras are awesome! the only thing better would be moving to a HID in my opinion i had a set in that lasted about 4yrs they died right before the meet lol

here is the list for the gen2

2008 FORD Explorer Sport Trac

High & low beam headlamp

H13 (9008)

H13ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.

H13XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light

194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

3457A

3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal

194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

3457A

3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal

4157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light

4157LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light

High mount stop light

921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.

921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Fog/Driving light

9145ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.

License plate

Back up light

921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.

921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker

Rear sidemarker

Ash tray

161LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Map light

168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Dome light

578LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

912LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light

168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Trunk/Cargo area

212-2

212-2LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Have their list. As you can see, no Silverstar ULTRA listed for the ST.

People on here have fit them in somehow. What part numbers do they use?

Umm, just a question, isn't the H13 light pretty universal? I mean, their not made for each individual vehicle, so it should theoretically fit? Try looking under the "Explorer" list and see if its any different. Just a thought. Bob

PS: Take a look at Luminics or Nokia (krypton) titainium ultra white bulbs. I use the Luminics in my fog lights and they are really good. Worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they still don't make an Ultra for our vehicle, and I imagine that any Gen2 owners stating that they HAVE "SilverStar Ultras" probably misspoke.

When I got my truck 3 years ago, I looked extensively before I decided to give up.

I didn't want to buy a set of $80 SliverStar bulbs, just to find out that the Ultras were available.

I eventually called Sylvania and the informed me that at THAT time, the Ultras were not available in the H13 bulbs. Partly due to the fact that there were not in as many vehicles with H13.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 3 years later they now make them, but from time to time I check my local parts stores & still haven't found any.

That combined with the fact that they're not listed on their site & I/You have seen no proof, I feel pretty confident that Sylvania SilverStar Ultras are not available in an H13 bulb for the Gen2 Sport Tracs.

Good luck & keep us posted!

As far as I know Gen 2's just take a plain old 9008 bulb. Consumer Reports rated the GE Knighthawk better than the regular Silverstars, so maybe they are similar to the Ultras.

i had ss ultra's on my gen1 and i last week 1 burned out so i put the stockers back in and i can't tell a difference. IMO there a waste of money. For almost the same price you can get a set of bi-xenon hid's. Thats what i have in my other truck and there 10x better.

I've had the silverstars on my truck now for 3 years and love them. They have dimmed a little since then and I'm going to replace them with a new set.

I found the best price on Amazon.com for about 28 bucks for a set of two. I also have these on my fog lights as well.

Big diff. between the stock lights and these silverstars in brightness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not had much time to do anymore research than I did in Dec 2010. I really would like new headlights but I may try adjusting mine first so see if they can be tweeked into awesomeness!

Based on Dingo's feedback, pics, etc., I think I may just go with some of the

V-LEDs (I'm leaning towards 6000k)

Headlights:

http://www.v-leds.com/iListener/Control?vpid=4782975&details_popup=true

Fogs:

http://www.v-leds.com/iListener/Control?vpid=8964759&details_popup=true

For the guys who have found their lights dimming over the years, I'd recommend getting some 'headlight lens restorer'! Basically just a fine rubbing compound (I'd say toothpaste would probably serve the same purpose) it removes fine scratches and yellowing from plastic headlight lenses, and noticably increases 'brightness' of headlights, even on lenses that don't appear to be yellowed!

Especially if you drive somewhere where there's a lot of salt or sand on the roads, VERY worth it!

Latest posts