Smart Tips to Lower Driving Expenses

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timely post and good article Roger

Just finished my new driving style program, mixed city and hwy, 422 miles on one tank, 21 gals.

Never exceeded 60 MPH.

Never used the A.C, tires at 40 PSI, all syn fluids, mods in profile.

Drive like you have an egg tied to the skinny pedal.

Coast up to stoplgts, when you know your going to make a stop, you can coast 400 yrds easy with pumped up tires, coast down hills, on ramps etc, would be surprized how many oppertunities you have to coast.

take your foot compleatly of the gas when at stops, found i had a nasty habit of leaving my foot on the pedal adding about 200 rpms.

One thing I did learn is that you really piss people off when slowly accelerating and driving 60 in the slow lane, works for me.

I agree with you Bill. Our '01 has a 20 gal. tank and I can get around 400 miles per tank using those methods. That's city/hwy driving. It does take some self discipline, but I say to myself "what's the hurry" to the other drivers, but that is mostly on city streets where I catch up with them at stop lights. :D

bill:

have you tried accecerating normal or a bit faster to get up to speed and then maintain the speed??? I have an 07 with ave mpg display, and found by trial and error that if I accelerate at a normal or faster speed than "granddad" does, the ave mpg does not go down like it did.

Latest posts