Smelly Trac.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last Tuesday I had my new Flowmaster Muffler installed. The muffler guy didn't say it would smell, but I have been noticing these past few days that while I've been driving for a while then get out. I notice a smell coming from around the left rear wheel.. And if this isn't from the new Muffler install, it could be another problem.. I went to leave for work this evening and I haven't driven the trac for a couple days, I disengaged the e-brake and then shifted into R, then tried to back out of my driveway, (which is gravel) and all I did was spin the tires. and spray gravel at my garage door. I thought that was weird, I shifted into 1st and then tried to roll forward. Still no go. At this point I'm getting kinda worried.. Anyhow, it was raining this evening and I had shifted back into R and upon doing so, my wet foot slipped off the clutch. As the Trac lurched backwards, and engine quiting, I heard a "pop" then all was free when I started up the Trac again and I was on my way. I was dark out so I'm not sure if both or just one wheel in the back was spinning.

Hord

If you have rear drums, the shoes might have stuck if the E brake doid not release giving you a burnt lining smell as you drove. The new exhaust may be affecting the E brake cable. When you parked the Trac after heating the rear brake lining the shoe may have stuck to the drum. If you have an open rear, then power would not be transfered to the non stuck wheel. The pop sound could be the brake releasing. Check under the track for a damage or interfered E brake cable. That would be my guess.

Right after I had my Flowmaster installed, a slightly nauseating, burning smell permeated the cabin. I was quite concerned at first but the smell went away after a couple hundred miles without any problems. I think the issue you had in your gravel driveway has something to do with your drums and/or e-brakes sticking. I read about a similar instance around here not too long ago. Both issues just happened to coincide.

I agree. I had the same problem on my s-15 Jimmy with the parking (drum)

brake sticking after two or three days of sitting with it engaged.

Just a PITA problem with rear drum brakes sticking with the parking brake

on. Large temperature differences can make this happen overnight.

The smell you are experiencing is probably the anti-rust/shipping coating

on the exhaust burning off. I worked at a Midas shop YEARS ago, and we

used to have to tell customers that this was normal (which it was), till

the coating burned off after several hot and cold drive cycles.

This coating is put on there to keep the exhaust component from rusting

during shipping and storage. ;)