Smoke from passenger rear wheel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Posting this in off-topic because it's a 2002 Lincoln Towncar but there are some good folks here and I need some guidance.

The MIL pulled into a doc appointment today with smoke pouring out of the passenger rear wheel. She call the FD just in case and they temp'd it at ~300f when they got there. What I want to know... if I find that it is just the brakes seized up is it recommended to do the bearings also since it got so hot? If it's just the brakes I can do that easy enough. If the bearings should also be done then it need to go to a shop because I don't have the tools for that. I have not been able to raise the beast's thicc rear off the ground and inspect it yet. Thanks for any insight you might have.

I'll update this just 'cuz...

I lifted the rear end and took the wheel apart. Evidence of much burning on the outboard brake pad. Rotor looks in good shape. Brake line looks in good shape. Caliper looks in good shape and did not seem frozen, though it may have loosened up when it cooled. Parking brake bits all looked in good shape.

With everything disassembled, I spun the hub and heard a sound I was not totally comfortable with... rub your hands together. Now imagine that sound as the hub is spinning... 'shh...shh...shh...shh...' Not sure it this is an issue but as I don't have the tools to delve into the bearings, this thing is going to the shop. I would hate to refit the brakes and have that not be the cause of the issue in the first place.

Interesting, I would have bet on a faulty caliper with a sticking piston.

Always thought hub bearings gave warning before seizing. I guess not.

Chances are it still could be just a caliper issue. It's just that I was not comfortable with the sound it was making. If it was my truck it would concern me and I would seek professional help, and that is what I told the MIL. It could be normal, I have no clue. A professional tech will be in a much better position to make that determination. I also know the limits of my skill/tool set. I will do a lot of things, breaking into a rear, solid axle, wheel bearings is not something I can do. Would I like to own a nice bearing puller? Yes. Would I like to buy one for a potentially one-off job? Nope.

Had to Google “MIL”. I have one of those too!

Had to Google “MIL”. I have one of those too!
So sorry brother. Here's to hoping that she's not an ulra-co-dependant nut-case with no problem-solving or life skills that you have been trying to get out of your house for the past nine months, then, just when there is a glimmer of hope that she is moving out, her car does this.

Well, the tech says the bearings are fine. Also says that the cause of the problem was the parking brake being assembled wrong by the person who did the brakes last (BIL). The shoe was out of its clips and rubbing and just happened to jam up hard yesterday. Said he fixed that and all is well. I suggested the to the MIL to have them at least do a brake fluid flush and to change the pads but she declined to save money. Oh well, I tried and I wash my hands of it. At least she can still move out this weekend.

Latest posts