So my Muffler is making noises

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65037

Reaction score
I think one of the flanges inside the muffler got loose and now is making a rattling sound between 1k-2k rpm. So found a excuse to go buy a good one :). I've bought flow masters before but that was a v8 350. Anyone got any preference on mufflers? I wouldn't mind one that sounds a little more beefy but still like the quietness when I'm up in the woods.

Also any tip on easy remove and replacement of the muffler. I'm confident I can easily do it but sometime I look over way to many things till it's too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM muffler is welded in, there are no clamps...

I bet it is one of the heat shields on one of the cats that is ratteling...

unless you have aftermarket exhaust.....

Todd Z

My muffler did the same thing when I first got the truck new. They replaced it under warranty so I did ask what was wrong with it. But I have a flowmaster 40 and I like it but it may be a little loud for you in the woods. Its not too loud though. But you may be more interested in the 50 series. It gives a beefier tone but keeps it on the quiet side. I feel like thats what my muffler shop would recommend for your application.

Yeah I check the heat each heat shield and nadda nothing. But every time I hit the muffler I hear that rattle and I swear it's come from the inside. Just have to take it to a shop. Thanks :)

I just bought a gibson for all the reasons you stated, except for the woods part(live on long island). Should be installed any day now, unfortunately don't have the space or tools, so my mechanic is gonna do it(80 bucks).

dave, ditto..:lol:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/14449/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: