Something knocking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello all,

I have discovered a knocking sound at the front of my engine... Suspected it was an accessory, so I pulled the drive belt off, fired the truck and viola! no more knocking. I am not sure what accessory is doing the knocking but I *think* it is the power steering pump. Is the power steering pump under the aluminum bracket to the left of the fluid reservoir? I would post a picture of it, but I don't know how.. I want to get this fixed so it doesn't seize up on me. When I push in and out on this pully it moves a bit and makes a clunking sound, can anyone confirm that this is normal or not normal?

I am not sure how else to diagnose a bad accessory.

On the power steering pump/ res., the pulley should have a very little play. If it's enough to where to can feel it then it's bad and you definetly want to replace it asap becuase the pulley will still turn but the bearing and or shaft is worn out and will brake eventually. I'm dealing with the same problem on my buddys truck, the bearing seized up, sheared the belt, snapped the pulley shaft and send the fan into the radiator . Yeah lots of work for me.

Last edited by a moderator: