Sony aftermarket touch screen radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exahiyan

Reaction score
My 2007 LTD came with a very nice Sony touch screen radio that mirrors my Android phone but when I connect to Weblink and tap the rear camera icon, I get the message "no signal found". I'm guessing that when the Sony was installed, they didn't add the rear camera device. I've been getting different stories from installers in my area so I thought that I'd turn to the forum and see what you folks think. One, if I purchase a license plate camera, does it have to be hard wired to the radio to get the signal? And secondly, since the radio is bluetooth abled, will it just hook up wirelessly to a blue tooth camera without a hard wire? Thanks for any advice!

Im not an audio expert, I don't know if cameras are wireless yet. Ive had to run wires and get power from the reverse circuit( bulb or under the dash) I believe the Bluetooth is just for the phone.

I agree with Todd you will need to run a video wire from the camera to your Sony head unit. Bluetooth is just for your phone. They do make wireless cameras that connect to a separate screen but I’m not aware of any aftermarket radio head units that use a wireless backup cam.

Hey Exahiyan
What model is your Sony? Are you happy with it?
I am looking for a new stereo with a screen. Hoping to find one with a volume knob

Hey Exahiyan
What model is your Sony? Are you happy with it?
I am looking for a new stereo with a screen. Hoping to find one with a volume knob
I'm very happy with it. It came with the truck so I don't have any paperwork for it.

Looking at stereo head sets , they have either 2v or 4 v output for the speakers. My Adrenalin has 4 speakers and a subwoofer. Any ideas what I need? I am guessing 4v

2v vs 4v is referring to the rca signal coming out of the head unit. This is only relevant if you are using separate amplifiers for door speakers/subs. 4v is a cleaner signal but most people would not be able to tell a difference between 2v and 4v. Additionally if you are only going to have a sub amplified, output voltage matters even less. I’m not sure if you are going to be able to hook your factory sub up to an aftermarket head unit, you will need to do some research on that (obviously google, this site, explorerforum site and Crutchfield).

Thanks Wade. Do our trucks have an additional amplifier or sub amplifier installed?
I was hoping to just switch the OEM head unit for aftermarket and plug it in to the existing harnesses

I’m not sure on the 2nd gens I have 1st gen ST’s. The factory sub will definitely have an amp that powers it but the door speakers are likely powered by the radio head unit itself. Usually upgraded factory stereos (like Bose, etc) will have a factory amp that powers the door speakers as well, your ST may or may not have an amp that powers the door speakers I have never messed with a second gen so I don’t know for sure. Sometimes there is a wire harness available that will send the audio signal to the factory sub amp in some vehicles I’m just not sure if one is available for your truck. I would call Cructhfield or Best Buy install bay and they can probably tell you what harnesses are available for your vehicle. You may have to do an aftermarket sub amp and get rid of the factory sub if you want bass. Another good resource is the12volt.com. If a harness is available that will send audio signal to a factory amp (sub and/or speaker amp) it will have rca’s on it, if the harness only has wires and no rca’s then it will not send audio to a factory amp.

Crutchfield will step you through it....

1642513379665.png