Space Saver Spare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my spare tire was stolen a few days ago. The spare tire winch was broken in the process. If I just get a new spare and a new winch, I'd think it'd happen again. I'm just curious as to what my options are. One thought was a space saver spare tire that I can toss into the back seat or in the bed. Are there space saver spare tires that can be used on the sport trac? I have an '07 with 18" rims.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the cable snapped and it fell off the truck ??

They make spare tire locks..... Or a chain coated in rubber and a lock..

Todd Z

No, definitely didn't fall off the truck. The metal piece (can't think of the name for it) that attaches to the cable was sitting under my truck, tire gone.

Well if you have a hydraulic shop or truck repair they can crimp that piece back on and you don't need a new assembly...

just a thought..

Todd Z

If that lock is made of anything like a kryptonite bike lock youll be in good hands. They are pretty resilient. I/E short of a die grinder you cant get em off.

So, in getting a spare tire. What do I get? How do I determine lug nut arrangemtent, choose a rim, and a tire? I have BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour tires on the truck, size is P235/65R18. Do I need to get an 18" rim & tire, or a 17" rim and tire? I am pretty sure my spare was a 17". Does it matter as long as the overall outside dimension is the same?

It's a pretty common occurrence in the city. I've only had the truck for a couple months, never got around to getting the spare tire lock. I figured I'd be ok since I was parked in a lighted lot.

Ford quoted me $220 for a tire, $175 for a rim, $90 for the winch, and $40 for spare lock. Seems a little extreme doesn't it?

Latest posts