spare key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
My St only came with 1 key and remote. If I buy another key on ebay, all I have to do is take it to ford to be programmed right? What about the remote? Does ford program the remote also?

The remote you can do your self, But yes the dealer will do for you....

The key programing can be expensive, Call around to other dealers and check pricing...

Todd Z

joycie,

To add to what Todd said and then to answer your other question...

Yes, the dealer is the only one that can program your key since you do not have two working ignition keys. From my understanding, a good locksmith (not those at Home Depot or Walmart) MAY be able to program it too, but I do not know for sure. It might be something to look into.

Did you get an owners manual when you got your Trac? If so, open it up and learn about your vehicle. Some of the question you have, or may have, will be covered in there. It just happens to be that instructions to program your key fob is covered in there too. It is easier to look it up yourself than it is to type the instructions myself since I type so slow.

Don't have an owners manual?

Follow the link below...

Tom

You probably won't save that much on the key and cutting on e-bay. My former dealer charged $10.00 to cut the key since I didn't buy it from him, but did buy it from Ford. Go figure.

But you need two working keys to program the third so that might cost you...unless the dealer you got it from will do it as a service out of the kindness of his heart.