Spare Tire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wire/cord that holds my spare tire up under the truck is flattened. The mechanic says I need to replace the entire assembly. He siad I'm looking at $350 maybe. Is this correct or can I get a new one cheaper and do it myself? Any help appreciated. Thanks and God Bless.

Flattened???

It's a cable made of steel! A piece of rope would do just a well!

$350 is crazy. If you're concerned, do as UB stated, salvage yard.

I wouldn't turn your back, or let that "mechanic" anywhere near your ST.

Say thanks, (for nothing), and goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cable is just flattend and not frayed, don't worry about it.

If frayed, is a simple system, cables can always be replaced.

Only reason I can figure that the cable would be "flattened":

Wound since new and never lowered for spare use or the spare was used and the support cable was run over by a steam roller!!!

Don't worry about it. Even if frayed as bill indicated, it will work fine. Just wear gloves so the frayed winding doesn't pierce your hand!

Is this a Ford dealer mechanic? If so, let him know that FMOCO sales is kickin azz these days and therefore, don't need to rip-off service customers any longer!

:angry::angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with the others...

What is your complaint? Does the unit operate as designed (go up and down)?

As above, unless it if frayed, you have no worries with the cable itself.

More details please..

Jack,

Flattened or not, as long as it holds the spare, lowers the spare, and raises the spare

who cares if it's flat? It's a steel cable.

And he wants $350?

What ever you do don't bend over to look at the cable while he's behind you. We all see where he is going:eek:

WTF, The part that holds the spare tire up with the cable is held in by two screws. You can purchase a brand new unit for around $60.00 from the Ford dealer.

Sounds like the R & R for those two screws is labor "intensive". What's the "flat rate" labor charge?

Latest posts