Spark Plug Blow Out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Sugarman

Reaction score
We just got bit by the 5.4L spark plug gremlin. Ford still says there is not a problem, but the Ford vehicle owners say otherwise. I think there are only 5-6 threads holding in that 3/4" threaded end. It vibrates loose and then kapowie!

If you notice an exhaust leak noise, you may want to check all of your plugs. I think the torque recommendation is 11 ft lbs. There are several kits available to fix the problem. Time-sert looks like a good one.

I called the Ford Service shop at a couple of local dealers. They want ~$400 to install a helicoil. A local sevice shop wants $350 + parts to install a Dorman kit. Did I mention that when it blows, it takes the coil out with it? That is another $70. It looks like around $500 to get the one hole fixed by a "professional".

Anyway, there is a lot of information out there regarding this phenomenon. I recommend anyone with a 5.4L 1997-2005 to be extremely cautious. At least one giy's truck caught fire and burned to the ground.

Good Luck!

I heard about this too. Most of the problems are when people change the plugs themselves or have a non ford mechanic change them. I usually do my own plugs but if I owned the 5.4 I'd bring it in

Yeah, my mechanic is an ex-Ford mechanic. Of course I think if a shade tree or a Ford certified applies the proper amount of torque it shouldn't matter. But, then again I have a blown plug.:wacko:

That has been the problem though, is other mechanics are tightenening it as hard as they can and not paying any attention to the torque.

I think different years have different spec.'s. I have seen 8, 11, 13 and up to 25. I don't have a service manual handy, but I will ask my mechanic next time I see him.

Latest posts