Spark Plug Gaps found nearly closed??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what would cause the gap in #2 and #5 spark plugs to be nearly closed? The trac stared kinda missing on the way back from Gulf Shores last week and I decided to go ahead and change the plugs and wires that is what I found. The others looked normal. The truck has about 95K miles on it and other than that has been a good truck!

You mean like 95K since you've had it and just now pulling the plugs? Or 95K and you haven't owned it since new?

Asking because if you've only had it awhile it was prlooy installed out of the box without gapping it. If you've had it since new and they have 95K on em' I'd say a rod let loose and the piston smashed it shut. Of course the latter couldn't have happened because you would have more than a miss.

Curious to say the least.

if the plugs are the original plugs, its not unusual for the gap to vary some or a lot, if the miss just started all of a sudden, something else might have let loose so to speak but if its only missing at idle and at speed, just put new plugs in and see if the miss goes away. Gap is around .053 +/- if memory serves, but look in the book or on the label under the hood. Use just a good plug, not the "fancy" ones, autolite ormotorcraft work good

I changed mine for the first time at 130k (or so). My father in law changed his Chevy plugs for the first time at 165k. I didn't feel a lot of difference, but it does idle smoother.

My only real concern was if the plugs would let go of the aluminum heads. I took it VERY slow and careful, and they slowly squeaked out.

And you did use anti-seize with the new plugs, right?

I bought the truck with 56K miles on it. The miss showed up while driving. I thought it might have been bad gas, but I've ran it for about 700 miles and multiple fill ups and it was still doing it. Now that I have changed the plugs and wires, it doesn't seem to be missing anymore. I just found it odd that the gap on those two plugs was virtually nothing.

jesnamy, were the gaps closed or was it carbon build up? You would get weak fire through carbon. No fire through no gap and seems it would have ran bad from day one.

Gaps was nearly closed on one of the two and closed on the other one. No carbon build up on any of them, they looked fine, but I believe that this was probably the original set. The wires for sure as they were numbered...

Latest posts