Spark Plug read

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere here that Ford did not apply anti-seize compound to the spark plugs and if waited a long time, could become a issue. Well, I got bored and decided to check and it appears they put something on mine for the came out very easy. Problem is, I had them out planning on just cleaning them, but went ahead and just changed them. I replaced them with the exact same part number.

If someone knows how to read plugs, the picture below is with 15K. The gaps where .055 to .056

I think they look okay.:huh:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look good to me. At 15K, I would have never seized them and put them back in. They came out easy because of only 15k. They dont look like they had any antisieze, on them. After 60K is when some came out hard.

That is normal wear. They are not burnt. Let me see if I can find a color spark plug chart. I will post it. Those little burn spots are the direction the flame kernal dicharged, toward the fuel air mixture. 15K wont kill a set of plugs on a street car.

The electrodes look good, still have nice edges, No build up on them.... If the gaps are that close there is ZERO wear on them.....

They are platinum so don't clean with any abrasives.....

Todd Z

Looks like there is a different enrichment on the three cylinders shown. The extreme right plug looks like the cylinder is running lean. The porcelain should be a light tan.

I am coming off 93 Octane (with a high octane tune), back to 87 octane and 50 miles ago changed the tune back to performance 87. I am hoping that it takes the ECU take a little bit to stabilize and getting the fuel tank completely rid of the 93 octane.

I've been wanting to change mine in my '07 V8 but am not sure of how it would be. It seems that a lot of folks have snapped the V8 plugs if i remember correctly??

'07 ST