Spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monolith999

Reaction score
Just changed all 8 plugs and was very happy all 8 came out with no issues. Some look to be newer than others but I've had the truck since 80,000 and I'm now at 120 so they all have at least 40,000 on them. Used a regular socket wrench on a warm-hot engine. The squealed and whined on the way out but gave me no issues!

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_124956__01__01__02.jpg
    IMG_20181006_124956__01__01__02.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20181006_124956__01__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20181006_124956__01__01__01.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 179
Wow, A few look as if there was blowby on the threads. Did you go back with the one piece plugs and copper neversieze?

Wow, A few look as if there was blowby on the threads. Did you go back with the one piece plugs and copper neversieze?
I put back in autolite 2 piece plugs. The deal was so I great I couldn't turn it down . 7 bucks a plug with a 5 dollar rebate per plug? Heck yes! I did put neversieze on them though. Truck runs a lot better.

UGH, you put 2 piece back in ??? SMH..... Im not rich enough to be cheep....... Never seize will NOT work as the part that gets stuck is IN the combustion chamber, it is all burnt off already......

UGH, you put 2 piece back in ??? SMH..... Im not rich enough to be cheep....... Never seize will NOT work as the part that gets stuck is IN the combustion chamber, it is all burnt off already......
Yeah in hindsight I should have mustered up the extra $$ for one pieces. But $2 a plug after rebate was too strong lol... Maybe I'll throw one pieces in at some point, not sure...

The large rebate was most likely because. Of left over stock. Look for future autolite to go to one peice. JMO
This was such a worldwide fiasco. Even dealers had to buy to special tools. Probably helped design it..LOL
I was refering to neversieze on the threads only.

Steve, I didnt' know that the manual said to coat both. I tend to think like Todd. In the long term, the sheath is in the combustion chamber. IMO, not sure if 70k to 100k miles would matter....
Im glad that we have the gen1......

What's interesting about the 3V two piece plugs are the different opinions and methods of removal, and preferred spark plug choice. Most will agree OE Motorcraft or Autolite plugs run the best in Ford engines. Problem is Motorcraft and Autolite are both two-piece designs and tend to break when they are installed in the engine too long. Regarding the 4.0L SOHC (plastic timing chain guide failure) and 5R55E combo used in the 2001-05 Gen 1. It's not if, but when one or both will fail. Keeping the factory recommended fluids clean always seems to be the best preventative maintenance. Here's a video from one of the most respected on line Ford techs that goes against Ford's TSB for the 3V two piece spark plug removal with the engine HOT using an impact.

Last edited:
What I found intresting, was. How he put the air wand in the cylinder and blew it out, after the plug was out. That could be a good idea on any motor. Even if nothing blows out. Just a good step for aluminum heads, or cast iron.
All my years with cars, that will be a new one for me. I have the wand, I use it before pulling the plug.

Latest posts