spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
In my other post Autolite plugs are recomended, but should I just use the cheap copper core plugs or platinum? I always thought copper was a better conductor than platinum??

Personally I only recommend Motorcraft plugs.

On the IACS scale, the only other material that flows electric better is Silver. Copper does flow better than Iridium, Platinum, or Nickel.

With that being said, the three materials I listed still flow electric better than the material the wires are made out of.

Autolite plugs will work. At one time, Autolite was Fords OE brand.

I would not say Autolite is the best.

In my opinion, Motorcraft plugs are the best you can buy for a Ford.

I am too lazy to do the same job twice because of non-compatable parts.

But that is just me.

Tom

The cheaper (read less expensive) copper plugs will require more frequent changes (tune-ups) like in the old days(15-20 years ago). Big benefit of the platinum plugs is that they can go 100K miles before they need changing. Personally, I use NGK plugs, and haven't had an issue. I forgot the part number but didn't go with the platinums specifically because I don't want or need to go 100k w/o changing. Don't forget the anti-sieze.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always recommend motorcraft or autolites.....

Todd Z

I have used Autolite Double Platinums the last few times in different family cars, mostly Fords, and they were fine. Easier to find than Motorcraft.

The main benefit of platinums are that they last longer. There is no measurable performance difference.

Bosch +2 and +4 plugs do not get along well with the Ford ignition system.

Thanks for the responses, I got the Autolite double Platinums APP103. Then when I took my old plugs out they were APP103's:huh: I canot beleive I did not remember what I put in there. I dont see how they say these can last for 100k miles. There was noticable wear on my old plugs, but they looked good.

It sure is easy to replace plugs and wires with the body lift:D I also installed Taylor Thunder Volt 8.2 wires. So now under the hood is all red..