Speedometer Off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn L

Reaction score
I have noticed that the speedometer seems to be 3 mph off on the low side. So if I am going 70 my speedomter reads 73.

Does this affect the odometer and if so which way?

huh, mine reads the opposite, if I'm doing 73mph I'll be actually doing 70mph.

Seems to be somewhat of a common issue with the ST of either reading 3+ or - mph.

I have noticed that ford speedometers are off by about 3 mph at 60 mph on several ford vehicles .... when i swapped my 255/70/16 tires for 265/75/16's, i went by several speed trailers (police radar trailers) that my speedo was right on !! I think its so your mileage racks up quicker & gets you out of warranty about 2,000 miles earlier ;)

Note that on a vehicle the speedometer and odomoter typically are off by the same percentage, but that need not necessarily be so. Depending on the car they might work indepedently.

Here is a link to an article for testing BOTH:

math-you, not to burst your bubble, but don't be too secure in those speed trailers. They often use a very low quality radar detector and more often then not are not properly calibrated.

Using GPS I found mine was off 3.2 mph at 60 mph. It would read 63, so, I tacked on more miles but didn't get any speeding tickets... LOL

Latest posts