sport trac acting up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Sanchez

Reaction score
I have a 03 sport trac with 80,000 miles , never had any problems until yesterday. I went to start it up and it wouldnt start. It cranked ,start up then turn off. I did this for about 3 times until it finally started up. Its been running fine since then. Has this ever happen to anyone else.

Sounds like fuel pump check valve. If so, have to drop tank and install new pump. Others will chime in too. I might be wrong.

Yes, check filters and fluids.

Could be the IAC valve acting up. May need to clean it

The other thing is this. IF your parked on a hill with the Nose of the truck lower than the front and have less than 1/2 gas tank, the truck will not build the proper fuel pressure... I have had that happen several times on my driveway, and it only has about a 15 degree pitch at the top..

Todd Z

It's not the old fuel pump problem, that caused hard starting, but it ran fine when it started.

It's probably the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. The IAC meters the air going into the engine at idle. If the IAC is dirty (most get dirty very quickly) it does not allow enough air into the engine at idle. There is a project to remove and clean the IAC. It's a simple procedure, and does not require much mechanical skill or special tools.

A way to test if it is the IAC, is to partially press down on the accelerator pedal when you start the engine. That opens the throttlbody valve and allows air in and bypasses the IAC. It's not practical to live with that so you will need to get the IAC cleaned.

...Rich

i had the exact problem a few months ago and it was just my fuel filter. I forgot about it when i did my maintanence. as soon as i replaced it i have been fine.